In July of 2008 we published the first State of Solid State article. In it we talked about products that were on the horizon, pricing and where we thought the market was headed. Looking back, even I am surprised at how accurate the article was and how long the information was valid for. Like all things in this industry, eventually all things become dated, so it is time to make some new predictions, look at emerging technologies and even make some suggestions to the companies that are offering products to the masses.
It is an exciting time for the storage industry. The introduction of consumer level SSDs is only part of what has been a year of great invention. SATA and SAS 6Gb/s will open the data highways and give us twice the available point to point bandwidth. At the same time, companies like LSI have introduced PCIe 2.0 RAID controllers that provide twice the available bandwidth to the system allowing enterprise, prosumer and enthusiasts to take advantage of new, higher speed products like Seagate's 15K.7 and 15K.2 2.5 inch form factor drive. To date, these are the only two products that we have tested that make use of the 6Gb/s SAS interface and are limited by SAS 3Gb/s.
Today we are going to talk about some of the technology advancements and get into some of the actual products that are currently hush-hush, but information is starting to leak out about. To round everything out, we are also going to get into some of the pricing predictions since the perceived high cost of SSDs has been such a tough wall to climb for many.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Opening the Data Highway]
- Page 3 [Seagate - Welcome to the Party Pal]
- Page 4 [Indilinx - Setting the Pace, Slow but Steady]
- Page 5 [Marvell - The New Hope]
- Page 6 [NAND Flash - The Other Half of the Story]
- Page 7 [OCZ Technology - Going Beyond a Rebadge]
- Page 8 [PCIe SSDs - The Honorable Mentions]
- Page 9 [Pricing - SSDs True Benchmark]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Legislators: Battlefront II is a Star Wars online casino
- Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age breaks 1 million sales
- Square Enix explains why it cut off Hitman dev
- ThinkPad Black Friday sale has a giant 35% off coupon
- Nintendo Switch drives Gamestop hardware sales
- I7-6700k, Gigabyte Aorus Z270X K7, Undervolt1.160
- GA-X79-UD7 memory frequency?
- MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC Motherboard Review
- Outstanding Design and Performance - Deep Look into New MSI GE63VR 7RF Raider
- Mean:It 5PM ARC Blue Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG27VQ