Features of the MSI 845 Ultra ARU
Here is the packaging that MSI ships the 854 Ultra ARU boards out in. Flashy box that comes with two brackets for USB ports and D-LED, CD with drivers, software and other goodies, a floppy disk for ATA-133 drivers, the board and an extremely thick manual with all the information you will need to help set up your board.
Here we get our first look at the board. A rather standard layout that we have come to know from MSI.
Here we have the expansion layout, simple AGP (4x 1.5v only), 5 PCI and 1 CNR slot. This is pretty much the factory default for an OEM/gamers board these days. While we could have done without the CNR and had an extra PCI slot instead, we can't get everything on the cheap.
First on the features list is the Promise ATA-133 RAID controller chip. This little baby gives you ATA-133 support as well as RAID. With the new BIOS update you can either select RAID or ATA mode for the controller, so you have the option of using the chip for RAID or just a plain old ATA-133 controller. Similar to Highpoint but only requires external settings for RAID and ATA mode.
MSI have been made famous for adding onboard USB 2.0 controller chips, and this board is no exception. Seen above, we find the NEC USB 2.0 controller chip that has been on just about all of the MSI high-end overclocker/enthusiast boards. This chip does add to the cost of the board a bit though. While VIA makes a more cost effective chip, it is somewhat slower than the NEC chip; better to have the quality I say.
C-Media sound controller chips have become one of the best value 6 channel sound chips ever. Producing reasonable quality sound (far superior to AC'97) this chip is an ideal replacement for aging SB Live values, SB PCI128's and those old Vortex A3D cards.
Here we see the cooler placed onto the Northbridge of the board. MSI has elected to go with an active cooling solution rather than passive. This promotes better overclocking and looks better. While the board has three DDR DIMM slots, the i845D only has 4 banks of memory. DIMM slot one takes banks 0 and 1, where 2 and 3 share banks 2 and 3. This means if you have a double sided DDR DIMM in DIMM 2, then you can't have any memory in DIMM 3. This is a limitation of the i845 that I hope Intel will remove in the newer revisions.
Here we see the brackets that are supplied. Top is the USB 1.1 controller bracket with MSI's D-LED. D-LED is a Diagnostic LED system that gives you light codes to tell you what your system is doing during the POST segment of boot-up. MSI used to have it internal, but now have moved it to external, a good move. The bottom bracket if the the USB 2.0 controller chip.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Battle of the Titans - Page 1 [It begins here]
- Battle of the Titans - Page 2 [Specifications that matter]
- Battle of the Titans - Page 3 [MSI I845 Ultra ARU]
- Battle of the Titans - Page 4 [Gigabyte GA-8IRXP]
- Battle of the Titans - Page 5 [Soyo P4I Fire Dragon LE]
- Battle of the Titans - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System and Sandra]
- Battle of the Titans - Page 7 [Benchmarks, MadOnion]
- Battle of the Titans - Page 8 [Benchmarks, OpenGL]
- Battle of the Titans - Page 9 [Benchmarks, D3D]
- Battle of the Titans - Page 10 [Overclocking]
- Battle of the Titans - Page 11 [The final words]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Crytek's new Hunt: Showdown hits Steam Early Access
- Blu Vivo X smartphone rocks 4 cameras, costs just $249
- Final Fantasy XV require over 155GB HDD space for 4K on PC
- Intel: 5G mobile PCs will be here next year
- Dynasty Warriors 9 dev apologizes for major PC patch delay
- Reeven NAIA 240 CPU Cooler Review
- For Sale 5 Pieces Apple iPhone 8 64GB Brand New Unlocked $2,795
- Ryzen (1000-Series) Overclocking Guide
- For Sale (40 Pieces) Apple iPhone X 64GB $17,960 Brand New Unlocked
- Apple iPhone X $999 Buy here www.BizFests.com
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit