Core i7 is a remarkable CPU. Intel has really outdone itself on the Core series of CPU and not one has been a disappointment. Each time Intel has an iteration of it, there is more power and more features to surface.
Core i7, while sharing the Core name is a whole different animal; fast, feature packed and designed for a totally new platform, making it Intel's big jump away from familiarization.
One of the biggest things that everyone has been looking forward to with Core i7 was the removal of the aging and antiquated FSB, allowing the CPU to finally live up to its potential. And the integration of the memory controller onto the CPU was the biggest leap forward in performance of all. However, Intel really didn't need to worry about a triple channel memory controller at this stage.
We have seen today that dual channel memory on the Core i7 is more than enough to keep it fed with bandwidth, especially since the CPU and memory are communicating with each other directly. There is very little lost bandwidth and it makes better use of all of the dual channel memory than the triple channel memory. However, with Intel's plans to increase speeds and allow heavier memory usage, especially with IGP based systems, the extra bandwidth will end up being welcomed.
Our moral to this story is if you're planning on a Core i7 system, don't just go out and buy triple channel memory straight away. If your budget allows for it, then by all means more memory will help, especially in Vista. However, with today's results you can see that dual channel memory is more than capable of keeping up with the Core i7.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Behind the Core i7]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Everest]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Sisoft Sandra]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Diablo III once resembled Diablo II
- Final Fantasy XIV's new expansion is called Shadowbringers
- Cliffy B is done making games
- Devil May Cry TV show coming to Netflix
- Sony skips E3 2019 for PlayStation-centric showcase
- Z390 Taichi Onboard LED issue
- Z77-D3H MB and bizzare boot issue
- HyperX Gaming microSD 128GB Review
- FS:[20Pieces] Apple iPhone XR.Xs.Xs Max 64/256/512GB.$8,980
- ADATA Launches Ultimate SU630 3D QLC NAND SSD
- Razer announces the BlackWidow Lite
- An open world with no rules: former Xbox One Exclusive Sunset Overdrive comes to PC!
- Sid Meier's Civilization VI Now Available for Nintendo Switch
- Breach Hero Class Trailer - Lock And Load With The Gunslinger