Let me state this clearly, I have no formal testing facilities for heatsinks. Whilst my colleague (and usual heatsink reviewer) Mike "Darthtanion" Wright has a climate-controlled environment to test in, I don't have that luxury. Ambient room temperature is a constant 30 degrees Celsius (or very close to).
Idle temperatures were taken by switching on my system and leaving it run for 30 minutes with nothing processing in the background. Load temperatures were taken by letting United Devices' "Think" cancer research program run for 30 minutes. Temperatures were taken according to the Shuttle AV40R's onboard sensor, which makes contact with the base of the CPU. Arctic Silver II was used as the thermal interface for all heatsinks to ensure a level playing field. Just for comparison's sake, I threw in the default Intel heatsink and fan.
Processor: 1.7GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor
Motherboard: Shuttle AV40R VIA P4X266 motherboard
Memory: 256MB Apacer PC-2100 CAS-2 DDR SDRAM
Hard Drive: 15.3GB Western Digital 7200RPM Hard Drive; 2 x 6.4GB Quantum 5400RPM Hard Drives in RAID-0
Video Card: 32MB Prolink Pixelview GeForce2 MX
Sound Card: Creative SoundBlaster Live!
Case: 6x 80mm case fans in an AOpen H600A Midi-Tower case
Result - Idle
The GlobalWin WBW76 is clearly the leader here, coming in 3 degrees cooler than the Intel reference HSF. The Evercool unit doesn't perform too badly, just beating the Intel sink by 1 degree.
Results - Load
This really sorts out the men from the boys. A 1.7GHz "Willamette" Pentium 4 emits around 82 watts of heat under full load, besting even the "Thunderbird" Athlon. The WBW76 is once again the leader, with the NW6-610 coming in second.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Scoop 12% off Fallout 76 Bethesda keys for PC
- ABZU will be taking a dive into the Nintendo Switch, Nov 29
- 'Fortuna' update brings Warframe new concurrent gamer high
- Game of the Year 2018 nominees: 6 games worth playing
- Insomniac release Spider-Man DLC 2 trailer 'Turf Wars'
- EML to PST Converter
- ASRock DeskMini 310 SFF PC Review
- Q87m-e/csm & ddr3 1600 ram
- Intel Core i9-9980XE Extreme Edition Review
- Convert MBOX File Format to PST Format
- 'Ring of Elysium' launches three-tier security system
- eZuce Vibe is Powered by Oracle Cloud and Now Available in the Oracle Cloud Marketplace
- GlobalSign Launches Global Partner Program to Advance Enterprise Growth
- ADAMA and Pessl Instruments Signed Agreement for Global Partnership
- TYAN Showcases HPC, Storage and Cloud Server Platforms