Well DDR2 still has its place, it may not be the main memory for the Intel platform for much longer but it's still the mainstream for AMD, and for the time being P35 is happy to run with DDR2 until DDR3 manages to take a foot hold and prove itself.
Our roundup today manages to give us a good idea on what we have here, especially the high-end 1200MHz kits from Kingston, ADATA, Winchip, and Geil as well as the ultra low latencies of the Kingston 6400 series of RAM modules.
Kingston's PC2-9600 memory has managed to impress us immensely with its speed as well as overclocking abilities. While 600MHz may seem good to most, our final speed of 622MHz gives us just a bit more speed for your dollar. To this end we have given the Kingston PC2-9600 our Must Have Editors Choice Award.
Kingston's second entrant is the PC2-6400, which we must admit isn't really a high-end product, but for those of you wanting wanting lower latencies, then this is the RAM for you. Both Intel and AMD support DDR2 at 800MHz, so the latencies will run on both setups, and with AMD's onboard memory controller combined with the lower latencies, you're going to really see some extra juice from an AM2 setup here.
Geil has a fantastic DDR2 memory package, it's quite attractive as well as being able to almost match the speeds from the Kingston package. It's rated at a lower speed of 1160MHz from from factory, its extra voltage range up to 2.55v gave us the boost we needed to pass 600MHz and reach the 612MHz mark. To this end we give the Geil a big thumbs up and give it our best features award.
ADATA's modules were unfortunately not what we were hoping for, we didn't get the full 1200MHz out of it, quite possibly due to heat issues as the ADATA lacked any heatspreaders.
Now to Winchip; for their first product on our slab we were quite impressed, the style was quite impressive as well as the heatsink. While we didn't get to 600MHz we did get very close with 596MHz. Possibly with more time we would have gotten to 600MHz but with so many kits to test we were really under the pump.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Modules - Geil PC2-9280 DDR2-1160+ Dual Channel Kit]
- Page 3 [The Modules - Kingston KHX9600DX2K2/1G]
- Page 4 [The Modules - Kingston KHX64002ULK2/2G]
- Page 5 [The Modules - Winchip]
- Page 6 [The Modules - ADATA DDR2-12000]
- Page 7 [Overclocking the Modules]
- Page 8 [Test System Setup and Everest]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark05]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Sciencemark]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Prey]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Capcom add 'Torch Man' to the Mega Man 11 boss roster
- Kirby Star Allies: Daroach, Dark Meta Knight & more details
- Breath of the Wild Link joins Mario Kart 8 Deluxe roster
- Dragon Ball Super: Broly Movie Trailer revealed at Comic-Con
- New story trailer released for Insomniac Games' Spider-Man
- MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC (AMD X470) Motherboard Review
- ASROCK C2750D4I BMC Self Test Failure
- OWC Travel Dock Review
- Asrock a320m dgs eveything stuttering even cs go drops 15-20 fps
- Biostar X470GTN Gaming (AMD X470) Motherboard Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit