First up we have the PR200, which is a 12-inch widescreen model. Although no specific CPU speeds were announced, it will have a Core 2 Duo chip and the GM965 chipset. Sadly this means we are talking Intel GMA X3100 graphics on this otherwise well featured sub 2kg machine. It can take up to 2GB of DDR-2 667MHz memory and MSI offers it with a range of hard drive sizes from 80-160GB. But the one feature that really stands is the HDMI connector, which makes it easy to connect the PR200 to modern HD displays and projectors, ideal both for home cinema use and presentations. Other features include the option of 802.11n or a/b/g wireless networking, a TV tuner, 1.3-megapixel web camera, Bluetooth, fingerprint scanner, a Super Multi DVD writer, Gigabit Ethernet, built-in modem, three USB 2.0 ports, FireWire and a built-in multi-format memory card reader. A pretty well kitted out little machine there, it is just a matter of how much it will cost.
Next up we have the PR400, which is a larger model with a 14.1-inch widescreen display. This model shares several features with the PR200, but it lacks HDMI output. The chipset specifications were not available to us, but it is a Centrino Duo system. It will use DDR-2 memory and an educated guess here says GM965 chipset as well. The PR400 supports Intel's Turbo Memory technology and will come with 802.11n wireless networking. It also has a built-in fingerprint scanner, a Super Multi DVD writer, Gigabit Ethernet, built-in modem, three USB 2.0 ports, FireWire and a built-in multi-format memory card reader. A solid office machine, but hardly awe-inspiring.
Guess what the next model is called? PR600 of course. This model has a 15.4-inch widescreen display, weighs 2.6kg and has a full size keyboard with a numerical keypad. Personally we have never been a huge fan of full size keyboards on notebooks, as you end up sitting off to one side when you are working on them. Anyhow, this one is also based on the GM965 chipset, it has support for 802.11n or 802.11/a/b/g wireless networking, various combinations of optical drives, a 1.3-megapixel web camera, a four-in-one card reader, FireWire, S/PDIF out and TV-out. It will be available with a range of 80-120GB hard drives and features a Type II PC Card slot rather than the newer Express Card standard. A fairly standard notebook, but it should at least be quite affordable. MSI also has a version called PR620 which comes with the addition of a port replicator and Turbo Memory support, as well as a fingerprint scanner.
We are finally moving into the high-end territory now, with the EX600. Design wise the EX600 does not differ that much from the PR600, but it is a whole different kettle of fish underneath the plastic shell. This is the first model to use the PM965 chipset and it is also the first model to be powered by an Nvidia graphics card, the 8400M G. Although this is the most basic version of dedicated graphics from Nvidia, it is still an improvement over integrated graphics. The EX600 is also Dolby Digital Home Theatre certified. Again it has a 15.4-inch widescreen display, a PC Card slot, a four-in-one memory card reader, a 1.3-megapixel web cam, a range of options for the optical drive and hard drives coming in at 80-160GB. This model does not have support for 802.11n networking.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds will 'soon' get map selection
- Australian High Court REJECTS Valves appeal to $3M fine
- Skyrim Special Edition - 4K and 8K textures mods available
- God of War director reads reviews on video, shows true heart
- Witcher 3 mod allows Geralt to go full Benjamin Button
- FS 40 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9+ (www.BizFests.com) 128GB $8,520
- Legacy Mode
- Possible Router Issues
- ADATA Premier Memory Cards
- Can't complete BIOS recovery
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit