Now it's onto the card itself. Highpoint has used the half height size limit to the extreme by extending the card longer than the PCI slot itself. This is how they are able to keep the card small in height to fit the server environment. On the front of the card are the controller chips, Peizo buzzer speaker, HDD activity and Error LED ports, four SATA II 3Gb/s data ports capable of RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 and JBOD / Native Command Queuing (NCQ) and the HP link port.
All of the card real estate is used to get the controller chips onboard. The back of the card hosts the IC chips as well as the Highpoint hot swap 601 controller chip to allow the drives to hot swap without any interference to the operating system.
Lastly we have what drives the Highpoint 1740 controller. In the past, Highpoint has made its own controller chips, but we haven't actually seen any Highpoint branded chips since the IDE days, and all of the early SATA controllers with Highpoint controller chips were IDE to SATA bridges. This is true again; Highpoint has turned to Marvell for its PCI based 88SX6042 controller chip. This chip supports all of the features of the SATA 2.5 specs but runs them through the PCI bus rather than PCI Express or PCI-X.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Package and Contents]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and PCMark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - HD Tach]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - File Copy Test]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Speed]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Game Loading Times]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft's Continuum turns Lumia 950s into mobile PC's
- Ubisoft announces Far Cry Primal set in Stone Age, coming 2016
- KitGuru editor in chief apologizes for 'inflammatory' AMD article
- Intel Battery Optimizer Android app now cleans, too
- Assassin's Creed, Rainbow Six next in GeForce GTX bundles
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX 32GB USB iOS Flash Drive Review
- SSI EEB support for Lian Li high end chassis
- Need help with a build
- Force M7 Thor Mouse does not wake system?
- Topic: X99E-ITX/ac with 32GB ram
- The Crew WILD RUN PC CLOSED BETA WILL BE PLAYABLE FROM OCTOBER 15TH TO OCTOBER 19TH 2015
- MLG Announces Broadcast Talent for World Finals in New Orleans
- Patriot Announces New Viper 4 3600MHz Dual-Channel Memory Kit
- Supermicro Launches New 1U TwinPro Fully Redundant, Dual DP Node, SuperServer
- AMD Partners with Oculus and Dell to Power Oculus Ready PCs