Now it's onto the card itself. Highpoint has used the half height size limit to the extreme by extending the card longer than the PCI slot itself. This is how they are able to keep the card small in height to fit the server environment. On the front of the card are the controller chips, Peizo buzzer speaker, HDD activity and Error LED ports, four SATA II 3Gb/s data ports capable of RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 and JBOD / Native Command Queuing (NCQ) and the HP link port.
All of the card real estate is used to get the controller chips onboard. The back of the card hosts the IC chips as well as the Highpoint hot swap 601 controller chip to allow the drives to hot swap without any interference to the operating system.
Lastly we have what drives the Highpoint 1740 controller. In the past, Highpoint has made its own controller chips, but we haven't actually seen any Highpoint branded chips since the IDE days, and all of the early SATA controllers with Highpoint controller chips were IDE to SATA bridges. This is true again; Highpoint has turned to Marvell for its PCI based 88SX6042 controller chip. This chip supports all of the features of the SATA 2.5 specs but runs them through the PCI bus rather than PCI Express or PCI-X.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Package and Contents]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and PCMark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - HD Tach]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - File Copy Test]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Speed]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Game Loading Times]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Sony's next gen PS5 may be traditional console gen
- Samsung Galaxy Stellar 2 specs and pricing leaked
- Samsung introduces new color option for the Galaxy S8+
- Xiaomi Mi 6 finally available outside of China
- Nokia 6 available in the US in early July
- WD Red 10TB NAS HDD Review
- modded my x79-ud3 bios, processor support question
- The Mummy Movie Review
- Computer freeze and audio buzz issue
- AZZA Photios 250 Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Logitech Circle 2 will be compatible with Amazon Echo Show
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1517 and DS1817
- Deep Silver and 4A Games are proud to announce Metro Exodus
- Microsoft premieres Xbox One X, world's most powerful console
- Phison gears up for mobile phone market with PS8226 3D NAND eMMC 5.1 controller