BIOS and Overclocking
Now it's into the BIOS section of the ASUS M2NPV-VM. Being a budget board, we aren't expecting too much in the way of overclocking options.
ASUS uses its traditional Award BIOS using the same menu system that Intel uses for its motherboards. This menu system was first used by ASUS back when the Pentium 3 Slot 1 was the king CPU. While it did fall back to the original blue menu a couple of times, this is now the BIOS setup that defines ASUS. We upgraded our BIOS to 0405 from the Beta BIOS that board was shipped with. Like all of the ASUS boards to get to the overclocking features, you need to access the Jumperfree sub-menu under the Advanced tab.
When in the Jumperfree section you see how few overclocking options we have. There are only three major ones - FSB, DRAM voltage and CPU multiplier. Your FSB range goes from 200MHz to 400MHz in 1MHz increment, DRAM voltage goes from default to 1.9v only and CPU multiplier, well that's explanatory.
With all these settings we only managed a 213MHz FSB clock. This was likely because there are no voltage changes for the CPU, HT links or any multiplier adjustments for the HT link, causing instabilities above 213MHz FSB. It goes without saying, the ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard will not land you any new world record overclocking results but at the same time it was designed to sit next your TV and not be running 3DMark.
Important Editor Note: Our maximum overclocking result is the best result we managed in our limited time testing the motherboard. Due to time constraints we don't have enough time to tweak the motherboard to the maximum and find the highest possible FSB as this could take days to properly find.
We do however spend at least a few hours overclocking every motherboard to try and find the highest possible overclock in that time frame. You may or may not be able to overclock higher if you spend more time tweaking or as new BIOS updates are released or "burn in" time might come into play if you believe in that.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD reboots itself with Ryzen, and Vega is next
- AMD Ryzen 7 1800X hits #1 best-selling CPUs on Amazon
- AMD breaking world records with Ryzen 7 1800X already
- 'Rogue One' Blu-ray announced, extras detailed
- I want one: AMD Ryzen CPU review kit looks AMAZING
- ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA A2 Error Code with Hardware Component Failure Beeps
- Does anyone from Thermaltake view this forum anymore?
- Is any one from Thermaltake viewing this forum anymore?
- Lian Li A61 5.25 devices
- Z270 Supercarrier - blackscreen 09/d0, cannot switch to backup BIOS
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications
- Transcend announces Ultimate UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) microSD cards to support 4K Ultra HD video recording
- Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest culminates with the journey eastward in Stormblood