Once everything is said and done, the APEX power supply does a very fair job holding its own. In terms of sheer performance, there were absolutely no issues with instability and the power levels across all rails was very solid. While you won't be overpowered across any rail, neither will you be lacking.
The aesthetics of this model stand high as well. With the chrome style finish, you should have no problems at all regardless of what lighting scheme you choose in your custom enclosure. Of course, you may run into one issue... the need to occasionally get out a buffing cloth and wipe it down, but this isn't something that is unusual with any mirror finish product you use in a PC.
While it does have a lot of good points, this isn't a perfect design. I was a bit disappointed with the main power coupling. Granted, it does have a 20-pin and 4-pin capability, but it also lacks any means to connect the two again if you switch between systems. Having to hunt down some sort of heavy-duty tape isn't what I would call "user friendly". I am also just a bit concerned about the supplemental power couplers being on the same harness. Even if your current motherboard doesn't need both of these connectors, your upgrade model may. Having them both so closely connected as they are has the potential for causing problems.
As far as cost is concerned, I have found this model online for as little as $65USD (after rebate), so it isn't going to empty the wallet. If you are concerned about this low cost, remember that APEX has been in the OEM market for quite some time. This area of the market specializes in creating a product for a reasonable amount of money, so it is good to see that their retail product line has these same goals.
Bottom line... With so many power supplies on the market, it can be more than a little difficult to choose what will work in your system. While there are many comparable items available, you will be hard pressed to find one with these features at this price. For solid power across all rails, good looks and a price tag that won't leave you wondering who stole your wallet, the APEX SL-8600EPS will meet your needs.
Meshed wiring harness
Dual SATA and Dual PCI-E
20+4 connector is taped
8-pin and 4-pin supplemental on same harness
Only 6 Molex
Rating - 8.5 out of 10 and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Best Value Award!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 arrives, IGN says pop-shove it in the garbage
- The important question has been answered: Will the new iPhone 6s bend?
- Beautiful film made using only water, a 5 yen coin and an Apple iPhone
- iOS 9 now has Tweetbot 4 support on iPad and iPhone
- Helpful Chrome extension lets you play GIFs in Google Search
- Samsung FIT MUF-64BB 64GB USB 3.0 Pico Flash Drive Review
- Why will my video card not work?
- M.2 Drive not showing up.
- Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 Stabilty Issue!!!
- Tesoro Lobera Spectrum RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- MASSIVE AUDIO Introduces DOCTOR WHO Bluetooth And Wired Headphones
- BOXX Introduces the World's Smallest Overclocked Workstation - APEXX 1
- AOC's New Full HD USB Monitor Makes the Perfect Laptop or Desktop Companion
- Feel the Power and Speed Inside Your Laptop NOX DDR4 64GB 3000MHz SO-DIMM The True Champion
- Creative Team Behind Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood Launch New Clay Animated Video Game, Armikrog