Once everything is said and done, the APEX power supply does a very fair job holding its own. In terms of sheer performance, there were absolutely no issues with instability and the power levels across all rails was very solid. While you won't be overpowered across any rail, neither will you be lacking.
The aesthetics of this model stand high as well. With the chrome style finish, you should have no problems at all regardless of what lighting scheme you choose in your custom enclosure. Of course, you may run into one issue... the need to occasionally get out a buffing cloth and wipe it down, but this isn't something that is unusual with any mirror finish product you use in a PC.
While it does have a lot of good points, this isn't a perfect design. I was a bit disappointed with the main power coupling. Granted, it does have a 20-pin and 4-pin capability, but it also lacks any means to connect the two again if you switch between systems. Having to hunt down some sort of heavy-duty tape isn't what I would call "user friendly". I am also just a bit concerned about the supplemental power couplers being on the same harness. Even if your current motherboard doesn't need both of these connectors, your upgrade model may. Having them both so closely connected as they are has the potential for causing problems.
As far as cost is concerned, I have found this model online for as little as $65USD (after rebate), so it isn't going to empty the wallet. If you are concerned about this low cost, remember that APEX has been in the OEM market for quite some time. This area of the market specializes in creating a product for a reasonable amount of money, so it is good to see that their retail product line has these same goals.
Bottom line... With so many power supplies on the market, it can be more than a little difficult to choose what will work in your system. While there are many comparable items available, you will be hard pressed to find one with these features at this price. For solid power across all rails, good looks and a price tag that won't leave you wondering who stole your wallet, the APEX SL-8600EPS will meet your needs.
Meshed wiring harness
Dual SATA and Dual PCI-E
20+4 connector is taped
8-pin and 4-pin supplemental on same harness
Only 6 Molex
Rating - 8.5 out of 10 and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Best Value Award!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- EA made more on live services than games in Q1'17
- Xiaomi Mi 6 special edition available in only 100 units
- Samsung to launch Note8 Emperor Edition with 8GB/256GB?
- GTA 6 motion capture possibly underway - UPDATE
- Musk shows The Boring Company's 1st working car elevator
- ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Dual 3G: Mid-Range On The Cheap
- AMD Ryzen 3 1300X and Ryzen 3 1200 CPU Review
- Lian-Li PC-O5SW...Watercooling and dimensions
- Toshiba XG5 1TB OEM M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Toshiba N300 8TB High-Reliability HDD Review
- Toshiba introduces TR200 SATA retail SSD series with 64-layer 3D flash memory
- Need for Speed Payback takes cars from scrap to stock to supercar in new trailer
- GWENT Gamescom 2017 tournament announced
- Toshiba NVMe SSDs now available with Lenovo's new ThinkSystem and ThinkAgile servers