BIOS and Overclocking
MSI has chosen the AWARD BIOS version 6 for their motherboard. In fact, the layout is identical to that of the MSI 915GM Speedster board which we looked at previously. For those who know the menu system that ASUS uses in their BIOS's, you will be familiar with the 945GT Speedster's BIOS.
To find the overclocking options you need to move to the advanced tab and under there you are given the CPU FSB option. You can go from 133MHz up to 400MHz in 1MHz increments. 133MHz FSB is used when running Celeron-M processors and 166MHz is used when Core Duo and Core Solo processors are installed. While 400MHz would be nice, since there are no CPU or memory voltage options, you are not going to get that far, at least with the latest version of BIOS we used from MSI - version 1.0.
To get access to DRAM timings you need to navigate to the Advanced Chipset Features sub menu under the advanced tab. Here you can manually set your DRAM speed and timings if the SPD settings are not good enough for you.
We managed to get our Core Duo T2500 (default clock speed - 166MHz FSB x 12 = 2GHz) processor up to a maximum of 2.2GHz which resulted in a FSB of 183MHz FSB using a 12x multiplier. Not too bad for a motherboard which isn't designed to be an overclocking power house.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [Inside The Box]
- Page 4 [The Motherboard]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark05]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Media Encoding]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Watch Dogs 2 updated on the PC, long list of fixes
- Del Toro: F*ck Konami, killing Silent Hills was moronic
- NBA is being aired in 4K in the US this weekend
- Ubisoft: PC-like consoles was a 'good decision'
- 8 minutes of new Prey gameplay footage released
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- Fnatic Gear Clutch G1 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- X99 Professional Gaming i7 and RAM question
- ADATA SV620 480GB Portable SSD Review
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset