BIOS and Overclocking
MSI has chosen the AWARD BIOS version 6 for their motherboard. In fact, the layout is identical to that of the MSI 915GM Speedster board which we looked at previously. For those who know the menu system that ASUS uses in their BIOS's, you will be familiar with the 945GT Speedster's BIOS.
To find the overclocking options you need to move to the advanced tab and under there you are given the CPU FSB option. You can go from 133MHz up to 400MHz in 1MHz increments. 133MHz FSB is used when running Celeron-M processors and 166MHz is used when Core Duo and Core Solo processors are installed. While 400MHz would be nice, since there are no CPU or memory voltage options, you are not going to get that far, at least with the latest version of BIOS we used from MSI - version 1.0.
To get access to DRAM timings you need to navigate to the Advanced Chipset Features sub menu under the advanced tab. Here you can manually set your DRAM speed and timings if the SPD settings are not good enough for you.
We managed to get our Core Duo T2500 (default clock speed - 166MHz FSB x 12 = 2GHz) processor up to a maximum of 2.2GHz which resulted in a FSB of 183MHz FSB using a 12x multiplier. Not too bad for a motherboard which isn't designed to be an overclocking power house.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [Inside The Box]
- Page 4 [The Motherboard]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark05]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Media Encoding]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- George Miller still planning two 'Mad Max' sequels
- Call of Duty WWII creatively strips players of power
- Hardware deals: GTX 1050 only $95 & cheapest Ryzen 5
- Instagram reaches 700 million users
- Samsung and LG working on a display with 4 curved sides?
- HDD to SSD
- Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube Gaming PC Review
- Synology RT2600ac Wireless Router Review
- Cursor disappearing randomly
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G Review
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives
- Call of Duty: WWII delivers gripping action on global scale
- Nokia partners with Lucasfilm to deliver an immersive behind-the-scenes VR experience of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- New LaCie 2big Dock Thunderbolt 3 bridges the port gap and delivers massive capacity to streamline creative workflows
- ENERMAX launches D.F. STORM, the 3500RPM fan featuring self-cleaning design