High Quality AA and AF
When testing without AA and AD turned on, we saw that Quake 4 and Doom 3 both saw some CPU limitation issues at 1600 x 1200 and 1920 x 1200.
While we didn't think this would be an issue when we started turning on AA and AF, we thought we may as well stress the cards to the maximum. We tested with AA at 8, AF at 16 and at 2560 x 1600. This, our fellow readers, is how games should be played - in "HD" as nVidia have been calling it this week at Computex 2006 trade show.
The XFX 7950GX2 XXX offering is clearly ahead of the Leadtek and Palit setup when we turn on AA and AF.
Since nVidia are unable to do AA and HDR at the same time you only get a SM2.0 score. This shows us that the Palit combination is back up to where it was in previous tests scoring closely to the XFX XXX offering.
Real world gaming at 2560 x 1600 with AA and AF on just isn't really ready at the moment. While the scores show us what we have seen throughout the whole review, you can clearly see why nVidia are offering Quad SLI. Some say there is no use for it and it's a waste of money but we can see that more frames need to be pushed here for a real "High Definition" gaming experience.
With HDR switched off and AA and AF on we can see we get what some people would consider playable and others would consider not so playable. 2560 x 1600 with heavy AA and AF on really does put a lot of pressure on the system and this can clearly be seen here. Bring on Quad SLI, nVidia!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [What went wrong? Ranting!]
- Page 3 [The Package]
- Page 4 [From 7900GX2 to 7950GX2]
- Page 5 [XFX's GeForce 7950GX2 XXX]
- Page 6 [Clock Speeds and Setup]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2: Lost Coast HDR]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Rocket League gets a new map and a DLC car
- Battlefield 1 dev said shovel digging might come back
- South Korea is getting an online version of Titanfall
- Artificial intelligence creates a (bad) Christmas song
- MacBook Pro GPU issues caused by software, not AMD
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset