Overclocked 7950GX2 by XFX in the house
As we roll into June like every year it is very exciting. Why? It is Computex time again and while I am sitting here at our labs in Australia and not in Taipei, I find myself not all that phased because we get to play with something hands on that is a bit more exiting then a plane trip.
Only a couple days ago at Computex, nVidia launched GeForce 7950GX2 - we all know about it, we even knew about them before the 7900GX2 was available but just how good is nVidia's second attempt at SLI on a "single card" going to be? We shouldn't call the GeForce 7950GX2 an SLI part but that's pretty much what it is. The 7900GX2 which we looked at last month had some niggling issues but overall wasn't too bad when gauged as a sign of what's to come.
There is a bit of talk around about the 7950GX2 though - while anyone will be able to go out and buy two GeForce 7950GX2 cards which will result in a total of four GPU cores (or Quad SLI), will you be able to run them?
We still aren't sure as unfortunately we still have not got that far thanks to the huge pain in the butt it has been to set the thing up. We put one card in initially (two cores, so we are clear!) and started benching; we were going all fine then after a reboot after a number of benchmarks, it went all down hill. BSOD, freezes in Windows install, freezes getting into Windows, crashes after driver install and more. Installing an older card like the 7800GTX found the system running no problems for a while then it all started over again. At the moment though we think it has come down to four things - the 7950GX2 being a bit of a pain, two Hitachi hard drives look like they have died, our beloved A8N32 seems to be no more and a bit of bad luck.
The good news is we have now got another Hitachi drive, three more GeForce 7950 and a brand new DFI Expert motherboard which would not have been made possible without the help of some local suppliers. We will go into more detail on the system in a few pages, though. In the mean time, let's have a look at exactly what we are dealing with this time around and if nVidia has delivered a new graphics card which is worth considering!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [What went wrong? Ranting!]
- Page 3 [The Package]
- Page 4 [From 7900GX2 to 7950GX2]
- Page 5 [XFX's GeForce 7950GX2 XXX]
- Page 6 [Clock Speeds and Setup]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2: Lost Coast HDR]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Xbox One defeats PS4 in online Black Friday sales
- Mass Effect: Andromeda to support 21:9 UltraWide on PC
- New Lego Worlds game release scheduled for February 2017
- Aquaman swims onto screens on October 5, 2018
- Crackdown 3 runs at 4K on Xbox Scorpio, arrives in 2017
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z170 Fan control & PWM issue
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset