The mobile sector has made some major improvements in the last year, while up until now, the hard disk, the slowest part in any PC (especially a notebook) has now been given a speed boost - and it's certainly about time this happened. Despite its small size, the Momentus 5400.3 has managed to pull some impressive scores for a drive only hitting 5,400 RPM.
Older 4,200 RPM notebook hard drive models were simply too slow and would hold up a laptop to the point of insanity. With processor clock speeds passing 2GHz, system memory capacity over 2GB and graphics cards approaching desktop levels, the poor notebook hard disk couldn't keep up and would make laptop gaming and other scenarios seem like a nightmare.
Seagate has come to the rescue and done a fantastic job to bring the mobile hard disk towards desktop component speeds. With SATA now starting to take hold in mobile markets as the interface of choice simply because of its serial nature requiring less voltage and fewer data pins, we can expect to see 44-pin Parallel ATA drivers taking a back seat and drives such as this one going a long way to helping mobile computing performance reach the same level as desktop.
If you are a noise freak trying to keep the decibels down, this drive is a dream. We disconnected every fan on the test bed for about two minutes while under load to see just how much audible noise could be heard. We only found a few of the usual ticks that come from reading the drive, no noise from the spindle motor. If we had this inside a case, there is no way you would even be able to hear it operate.
We struggle to find any bad points about Seagate's latest range of Momentus 5400 notebook hard drives. Whether you're looking to replace your current slower notebook HDD or add some quick, reliable and quiet portable storage to your PC, Seagate has produced a HDD which is very easy for us to recommend.
Fastest notebook drive we have tested
PATA or SATA models
Full range from 40GB up to 160GB, plenty of choice
PMR Technology increases storage capacities
Quiet operation - under 3db at full seek
No 7200 model yet (in the new model range)
- Latest Pricing
Rating - 9.5 out of 10 and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Best Performance Award
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Recreational drone literally pokes UK toddler's eye out
- Nintendo NX has a 60% chance at succeeding, says analyst
- iPad Pro chip A9X broken down, specs revealed
- AMD Crimson driver causing fan issues, hotfix incoming
- Apacer announces new Panther 2666MHz DDR4 RAM modules
- Gigsbyte motherboard supprt problem
- be quiet! Dark Rock TF Top Flow CPU Cooler Review
- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Problems With USB3
- Star Wars Battlefront PlayStation 4 Review
- "Cheap" 4K Rig
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis