Package and Contents
ASUS has packaged the N4L-VM in a new white and blue box, which are the colours of the ViiV platform from Intel from all the advertisement that we have seen. On the front there are only a few bits of info such as the model number.
On the back of the box, there is all the info you will need. ASUS gives a plethora of information on the boards features, layouts, specifications and even shows you their proprietary heatsink that is included in the box.
Manuals and drivers are pretty simple. ASUS gives you a single large user manual with all the info on setting up the board for beginners to advanced users as well as the BIOS settings for the board. Drivers are on a single CD with a boot option that allows you to create FDD's for Windows XP install when using the onboard RAID controllers.
Finally ASUS now has a deal with Intervideo to bundle copies of WinDVD, WinProducer and a few other goodies in their motherboards - these will come in handy for the Digital Home.
ASUS also includes in the board 2 PCI expansion slot covers with ports. One has 2 USB 2.0 ports in it and the other has a single Firewire port. While handy, it is best to get a case with front ports for these extra headers which eliminate having to reach around the back of the PC to plug in your USB or Firewire peripherals, though it is nice to have these extras included if you don't manage to get such a case.
ASUS uses a proprietary I/O shield layout, so you will need to use the included I/O shield. In fact no boards these days use the old ATX spec port layout as they are simply out of date these days, and each manufacturer has their own preferred port layouts.
As mentioned earlier, when you take a look at the back of the box, ASUS shows you a heatsink. The heatsink while somewhat large it is still small enough to fit into the most constrictive HTPC cases out there. Since the Core Duo and Core Solo CPU's generate far less heat than Pentium based CPU's, it's easier to reduce the heatsink size. The fan included is a 70mm fan that revs out at 3200 RPM, when at full speed you can just hear the fan over the HDD but not a loud whine like most fans for Intel CPU's these days.
The bottom of the heatsink looks almost like one of the Northbridge heatsinks that sit on the FP-BGA chipsets Intel produce. This isn't far from the truth as the Core Duo and Core Solo don't have a heatspreader, just like the Pentium-M CPU's.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
- Page 4 [The Motherboard]
- Page 5 [The Motherboard Continued]
- Page 6 [Overclocking]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test Systems and Sandra]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Video Encoding]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 17 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- P.T. influenced game now coming to Xbox One and PS4, possibly VR
- Fox greenlights 'Deadpool' sequel before release of first
- Oculus founder says Rift pre-orders far outweigh dev kit orders
- FreeSync coming to mid-range HP laptops later this year
- iOS 9.3 beta 3 is out, adds Verizon Wi-Fi Calling, CarPlay features
- Asrock z97e-itx/ac Bifurcation Support
- Intel Compute Stick "2" STK1AW32SC 2GB Windows 10 Review
- Cougar 450M Ambidextrous Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming K4 - Only Posts with one memory stick
- TP-LINK Archer C2600 MU-MIMO Wireless Dual-Band Router Review
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance