It's now happening. Pentium name is set to die, and the Core architecture is now the way to go and Intel are marching ahead with a lot of momentum behind them. We have seen just how powerful it is compared to Intel's most recent introduction, the Pentium D 900 series.
Even with less cache that is shared across two CPU cores and running over 1GHz less in clock speed, there is no doubt that Core Duo has the good to be the best in multimedia entertainment, and with Core2 on its way out, we are expecting even more from this series of CPU with more cache, Hyper Threading and Virtualisation technologies, things can only look up for ViiV and Intel as a whole.
ASUS's implementation of ViiV is just that, for Home Theatre or performance PC. For the overclockers out there, you should look for something else unless ASUS releases a new BIOS, you aren't going to get much extra speed out of this board.
Despite its lack of overclocking, we were very impressed with the feature set, stock performance and overall feeling of an Intel ViiV based system - the ASUS N4L-VM DH motherboard has plenty going for it and would make an ideal Home Theatre computer. Intel are starting to get everything right now but it took them long enough to do this, something companies like Shuttle with their XPC have realised for years.
Supports Core Duo and Core Solo
Kick Ass performance from new Core Duo CPU
Perfect for HTPC system
PCI Express 16x Graphics Port
Expansion possibilities for TV tuners etc
Additional SATA controller
Onboard Video (great for HTPC usage but not gaming)
Onboard 7.1 HD Audio finally with digital output options
e.SATA port for future external hard drives
Only a max of 3 SATA drivers
Very poor overclocking options and results
Core Duo processors aren't cheap at the moment
- Latest Pricing
Rating - 8.5 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
- Page 4 [The Motherboard]
- Page 5 [The Motherboard Continued]
- Page 6 [Overclocking]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test Systems and Sandra]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Video Encoding]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 17 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Apple expected to launch even thinner MacBook Air models next year
- New 'Batman V Superman' teaser revels in animosity
- USB-C connector updated with Intel's Thunderbolt 3 transfer protocol
- Crimson Edition hotfix driver released, fixes fan and game issues
- Just Cause 3 experiencing performance issues on the PS4
- Foscam FI9821P 720p HD Wireless IP Camera Review
- [ASROCK A75 PRO4] What should my next step be?
- Gigsbyte motherboard supprt problem
- be quiet! Dark Rock TF Top Flow CPU Cooler Review
- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Problems With USB3
- AMD Promotes Renowned Graphics Architect Michael Mantor to Corporate Fellow
- IEM San Jose doubles viewership, raises US$38k for charity and crowns new champions
- Students pitch ideas to gaming guru
- Black Friday - The action game! 45 seconds of fun, fast paced colourful satire. 'Beat The Crowd'