Test System Setup
Processor(s): AMD Athlon X2 3800+
Motherboard(s): ASUS A8N32-SLI (Supplied by ASUS)
Memory: 2 X 1GB Corsair PC3500LL PRO DDR (Supplied by Corsair Micro)
Hard Disk(s): WD Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA (Supplied by Western Digital)
Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP2
Why we would have loved to use a higher-end processor, this is all we had access to and it is obvious in some benchmarks that you really do need an expensive processor to help overcome that processor limitation which is shown its face more and more.
We have run our normal benchmarks that give us an excellent run down across the board. We have our standard synthetic tests which consist of 3DMark03, 05 and 06. From there we have some Direct3D benchmarks with Far Cry being on the end of the older scale, Half Life 2 being a bit more recent and F.E.A.R. which seems to be one of the most intensives games available. We finish the line up off with Doom 3 and Quake 4 which both utilize OpenGL technology. The line up gives us a good idea of how the cards will perform in a number of different environments.
To help remove those pesky CPU limitations we get aggressive with the AA and AF in four different programs. AA has been bumped up to 8X and AF to 16X along with the test resolution being set at 1600 x 1200.
Finally we overclock the processor as CPU limited applications find quite good increases from small CPU overclocks. It gives us a good indication of how a faster processor will help our cause for 3DMark and gaming domination.
We have compared the graphics cards against the 7800GTX 256MB cards from BFG Tech by itself and in SLI mode. While you may wonder why we would compare against the 256MB version (as opposed to the 512MB 7800GTX) the answer is easy, it's that hard to get the 512MB cards that its not a realistic product - it was only released to slow down and annoy ATI, which it did. The 7900GTX 512MB is really replacing the 7800GTX 256MB.
Version and / or Patch Used: Build 360
Developer Homepage: http://www.futuremark.com
Product Homepage: http://www.futuremark.com/products/3dmark03/
By combining full DX8 and partial DX9 support with completely new tests and graphics over the previous version, 3DMark03 continues the legacy of being the industry standard 3D benchmark.
Please Note: Due to recent events with the 3DMark03 series, we are adding results purely for those who are still in favor of 3DMark03. These results should not be taken too seriously and are only added for interest sakes.
We can clearly see that the latest generation nVidia card offers a significant performance increase at both resolutions. The single 7900GTX sits about half way between the single and SLI 7800GTX.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [GeForce 7800GTX vs. 7900GTX]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark03]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - CPU Overclocking]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Tekken 7 launches June 2, 2017, has season pass
- Samsung confirms they won't unveil the S8 at MWC 2017
- White Xiaomi Mi MIX will be available very soon
- Samsung confirms faulty batteries caused Note7 fiasco
- Hugo Barra is leaving Xiaomi next month
- Z170X Gamming 5 - Sata Expansion alternatives
- Gigabyte (Business) Partner Questions
- Upgrading to Z270
- headphones not registering on ASUS k501uq
- Black screen GA Z170X ULTRA GAMING BIOS F21 I7 6400 T HELP
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni