Thermaltake has been long been making the Orb style coolers, but they have yet to produce one that works well for serious overclockers...until now. The high performance Dragon Orb 3 is just that; High Performance. It manages to take the great looks of previous Orb coolers and mix in a healthy dose of effective cooling. The 7000RPM Everflow fan proves to be just as effective as the mighty Delta, and manages to be a bit quieter as well.
The soft material of the upper fan shroud would be better off as a more durable metal, but with a little care during installation you'll be just fine. Any thermal interface pre-applied is also a big taboo for most true overclockers, but in today's age of untrained new builders, it is understandable.
If you have any sort of plans of building an awesome rig, and also have plans of a big window in the side of it, then you should consider this heatsink as a very serious contender for your cooling needs. It performs on par with the big boys, and still manages to cost about $5 less than its competition. Add to that the awesome looks and you'll find yourself with a very solid choice in heatsinks.
Thermaltake has rated this unit for AMD Thunderbird processors up to 1.5GHz, and I think that they are right on track with that figure. I would have no qualms at all about installing it onto a system that I planned on clocking that fast, or even higher.
Bottom line... If you're in the market for a cooler that not only performs like a champ but also looks cool as hell, then look no further than the Thermaltake Dragon Orb 3.
- Looks cool
- 7000RPM fan cools very well
- Solid copper core
- Clipping mechanism uses all six lugs
- Did I mention that it looks COOL?
- Fan shroud too easy to bend
- Thermal interface on base
Rating - 9/10 and TweakTown's Editors Choice Award
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Switch is all about 'playing games anywhere with anyone'
- Gabe Newell holding Reddit AmA tomorrow
- Stock Nintendo Switch JoyConGrip won't recharge JoyCons
- Samsung Galaxy S8 will have a headphone jack after all?
- HTC to launch only 6-7 devices this year
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- Can't Find PC-O10 Riser Kit
- Help overclocking x5460 / GA-EP43-UD3L past 3.99ghz
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99