Now we start to look at the board and its features. The 8NPA SLI is based for the budget segment but still wanting to supply the advanced features and graphics support that nVidia SLI brings. In terms of placement of connectors, EPoX has gone budget here. The 24 pin ATX power connector and the 4 pin power connector are located in the same spots between the CPU retention module and the rear I/O ports. This causes some serious air flow issues, though AMD CPU's don't heat up anywhere near as much as Intel Pentium 4 CPU's, but still, something we would like to see changed.
The two IDE connectors and the four SATA ports are located on the right hand side of the board, keeping the ribbon IDE cables away from the CPU as much as possible. However the placement of the FDD connector could have been better, though very few PC's today still use FDD's.
The layout around the CPU is extremely clean and allows for larger than average CPU heatsinks if you intent to overclock. The Socket 754 CPU only supports a single channel DDR memory controller and thus this is why we only have two DDR memory slots. These are placed at the top of the CPU, allowing the memory to be cooled by the power supply exhaust fan. EPoX uses a 3 phase voltage regulation system to supply clean power to the AMD CPU.
The rear I/O ports provide you will all the needed external expansion ports. On the back are two PS/2 ports for you keyboard and mouse, one RCA based SPDIF out port for digital audio output, one parallel port for legacy printers, one serial port, four USB 2.0 ports with the remaining six being onboard headers, one Gigabit LAN port and three audio ports.
Now we get to the expansion ports. The 8NPA SLI has two PCI Express x16 ports to support SLI graphics. Along with this are two PCI Express x1 slots and three PCI legacy slots. Beside the expansion ports is the nVidia nForce4 SLI single chip chipset. To keep this veritable heat plant cool a small active cooling unit is put to use.
With the nForce 4 SLI chipset comes the built in nVidia Gigabit LAN controller. VITESSE PHY controller chip is used to interface the RJ-45 port with the onboard controller. Another great feature of the nVidia Gigabit LAN controller is the software firewall that is provided by nVidia to keep your PC much safer while on the Internet.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [Package and Contents]
- Page 4 [The Motherboard]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Sandra]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Series]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- CryEngine 3 used for interior rendering demo, and it looks amazing
- iPhone 6S to feature upgraded 4K-capable rear-facing camera, and more
- Star Citizen's social module launches alongside v1.2 patch
- Razer launches new Nabu smartband wearable during PAX Prime
- Xbox One Mini isn't real, says Phil Spencer
- Adam Elements iKlips iOS Lightning / USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20