It is no doubt that Opteron based systems are extremely powerful and in many cases even more powerful than the Dual Core versions, due to each CPU having its own memory controller, core to core HT links and the ability to add a second Northbridge to the second CPU to increase the systems overall expandability, and the ASUS K8N-DL is a definite candidate to put the Opteron in the high end workstation or power desktop range.
The ASUS K8N-DL may not have as many overclocking options as the desktop boards, and may not include as many expansion slots; however, this is the trade off for having a second CPU on the board. One great addition to this boards credit is the ability to run Dual Core Opterons, giving the ability to have a setup like the Intel Xeon's - two physical CPU's and two virtual cores.
Overall the ASUS K8N-DL is great as an entry level server, high-end workstation or power desktop. With Windows XP supporting Dual or Quad CPU's, its more and more acceptable to use dual or quad CPU setups without having to sacrifice on OS features, like when you wanted to use Dual CPU's before Windows 2000, NT was the only way to go.
Supports all Opteron CPU's
Supports First Gen FX CPU
Dual Core ready
PCI Express graphics slot
Dual memory controller
Lots of room for storage (plenty of SATA ports)
No overclocking options
Rather expansive for an ultra desktop option
Games don't make proper use of SMP, no real performance increases
Rating - 8.5 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Third 'Cloverfield' film revealed & delayed by 8 months
- John Glenn, the first American to orbit the Earth, dies
- AMD reboots its drivers with Crimson ReLive Edition
- Faraday Future car will have cameras instead of mirrors
- SpaceX's December launch postponed until early January
- Dk-q1 / dk-q1h
- asrock 880g pro3 codes E8>54>19
- ADATA SC660 240GB Portable SSD Review
- Will this Build be Quite, Small and powerfull ?
- Mouse skipping/jumping and audio stuttering
- Bluetooth 5 specification now available, 4x Range, 2x Speed
- Zadak511 reveals SHIELD Series with RGB DDR4 RAM and RGB SSD
- Jonsbo announces QT03A and VR2 cases, and FR-101 fan series
- Cooler Master announces the MasterCase Maker 5T
- be quiet! announces the Dark Base Pro 900 case with tempered glass window side panel