Final ThoughtsIt certainly seems that ULi is starting to show that with the right incentive and the proper R&D money, even a budget orientated chipset company can move its way into the high end market and start to try and take on the king of gaming chipsets right now, which is of course nVidia.
The M1697 showed an impressive performance curve. Not only this but some of the major features that were lacking in the M1695 chipset have been rectified like SLI and Crossfire support, SATA-3G controller and being based on a single chip allows for a cheaper overall cost to the consumer. ULi have hit the nail on the head with the M1697.
Our initial impression from even the reference board is that ULi has a winner - its now really up to the third party Taiwan manufacturers like ASUS, Gigabyte and various others to take up the ULI chipset. Hopefully we will see Crossfire and SLI motherboards with this chipset soon as it will definitely heat up the market and make things interesting.
We really like what ULi are doing lately but we just want to see more motherboard companies take on the chipset and build a real enthusiast motherboard based on the M1697 chipset!
SATA 2.5 controller
Single Chip (Like nForce 4 AMD)
Supports SLI and Crossfire
Cheaper than nForce 4
No Native Gigabit NIC
Rating - 9 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NVIDIA to reveal GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on February 28
- AMD Radeon Vega details coming on February 28
- NASA finds 7 Earth-sized planets that could sustain life
- Huawei officially announces Honor V9
- Nintendo unboxes the Nintendo Switch
- ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA A2 Error Code with Hardware Component Failure Beeps
- Does anyone from Thermaltake view this forum anymore?
- Is any one from Thermaltake viewing this forum anymore?
- Lian Li A61 5.25 devices
- Z270 Supercarrier - blackscreen 09/d0, cannot switch to backup BIOS
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications
- Transcend announces Ultimate UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) microSD cards to support 4K Ultra HD video recording
- Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest culminates with the journey eastward in Stormblood