Final ThoughtsIt certainly seems that ULi is starting to show that with the right incentive and the proper R&D money, even a budget orientated chipset company can move its way into the high end market and start to try and take on the king of gaming chipsets right now, which is of course nVidia.
The M1697 showed an impressive performance curve. Not only this but some of the major features that were lacking in the M1695 chipset have been rectified like SLI and Crossfire support, SATA-3G controller and being based on a single chip allows for a cheaper overall cost to the consumer. ULi have hit the nail on the head with the M1697.
Our initial impression from even the reference board is that ULi has a winner - its now really up to the third party Taiwan manufacturers like ASUS, Gigabyte and various others to take up the ULI chipset. Hopefully we will see Crossfire and SLI motherboards with this chipset soon as it will definitely heat up the market and make things interesting.
We really like what ULi are doing lately but we just want to see more motherboard companies take on the chipset and build a real enthusiast motherboard based on the M1697 chipset!
SATA 2.5 controller
Single Chip (Like nForce 4 AMD)
Supports SLI and Crossfire
Cheaper than nForce 4
No Native Gigabit NIC
Rating - 9 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Pokemon GO generated an insane $950 million in 2016
- Nintendo Switch will have 'steady pacing of content'
- Faraday Future stops factory construction to afford CES
- Switch's paid online is made to attract third-party devs
- Samsung smartwatches now compatible with iOS devices
- G skill Trident Z 32GB ( 2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 Cas 15
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- Can't Find PC-O10 Riser Kit
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99