Overall, the installation of a system into the BAT enclosure is not too much out of the ordinary. The removable 3.5" drive bays and the tool-free locking system for the larger drives makes things move along nicely, but there is a concern or two that needs to be mentioned.
The first concern is for those who like their optical drives mounted lower in the face like myself. With the drives fully inserted to their normal positions, care must be taken when using motherboards that have capacitors and diodes mounted toward the back/left side of the board. This installation makes use of an EPoX 9NDA3+ motherboard and as you can see, there was no choice in how I mounted the drives. The upper drive would not work in the lowest bay without running over the capacitors behind it. The drives I use are not out of the ordinary and the mainboard design is fairly common, so take heed that you may run into issues when installing your optical drives.
Another issue is with the PCI retention device. In order to work properly, the sliding clip must be able to lower itself all the way down so that the peripheral is fully locked into place. The peripheral on the left shows how this is supposed to work while the video board installed on the right shows a problem with tall boards. Lets take a closer look to show you what I mean...
As you can see, the lip of the locking mechanism strikes the top edge of the tall video board. This keeps the lock from sliding all the way down and properly securing the board into place. While a screw can still be used to hold the video card in place, there is no easy way to remove the single offending locking device without removing the entire PCI retention bracket.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Naughty Dog announces March 18, 2016 release for Uncharted 4 on PS4
- Google is trying to make 4K video less demanding on your connection
- FBI says companies lost $1.2B due to email scams since October 2013
- Qualcomm's next chip will use machine learning to detect malware
- Intel teases 100TB or larger SSDs for 2020
- Kingston DataTraveler microDuo 3C USB 3.1 Type-C Flash Drive Review
- PC-Q01/PC-Q03 Sizing Questions
- USB 3.0 header availability for PC-C37?
- Clean install windows 10 after being an insider
- Corsair Hydro H110i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20