Overall, the installation of a system into the BAT enclosure is not too much out of the ordinary. The removable 3.5" drive bays and the tool-free locking system for the larger drives makes things move along nicely, but there is a concern or two that needs to be mentioned.
The first concern is for those who like their optical drives mounted lower in the face like myself. With the drives fully inserted to their normal positions, care must be taken when using motherboards that have capacitors and diodes mounted toward the back/left side of the board. This installation makes use of an EPoX 9NDA3+ motherboard and as you can see, there was no choice in how I mounted the drives. The upper drive would not work in the lowest bay without running over the capacitors behind it. The drives I use are not out of the ordinary and the mainboard design is fairly common, so take heed that you may run into issues when installing your optical drives.
Another issue is with the PCI retention device. In order to work properly, the sliding clip must be able to lower itself all the way down so that the peripheral is fully locked into place. The peripheral on the left shows how this is supposed to work while the video board installed on the right shows a problem with tall boards. Lets take a closer look to show you what I mean...
As you can see, the lip of the locking mechanism strikes the top edge of the tall video board. This keeps the lock from sliding all the way down and properly securing the board into place. While a screw can still be used to hold the video card in place, there is no easy way to remove the single offending locking device without removing the entire PCI retention bracket.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Latest News Posts
- Hitman PC minimum and recommended requirements are out
- Mad Catz lays off massive 37% of staff despite great Rockband 4 sales
- 6DoF is coming back with Overlord from Descent co-creators
- Save Over 20% on the World's Smallest First-Person-View Drone
- Raspberry Pi gets experimental GPU acceleration, games now playable
- Intel Compute Stick "2" STK1AW32SC 2GB Windows 10 Review
- Cougar 450M Ambidextrous Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming K4 - Only Posts with one memory stick
- TP-LINK Archer C2600 MU-MIMO Wireless Dual-Band Router Review
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance