Portable storage is becoming the latest buzzword for not only enthusiasts, but for business people as well. In today's modern era of taking your work home, some sort of simple storage medium is becoming not only a convenience, but a necessity. Zip drives used to be the way to go but the cost and reliability factors of this type device forced most to look for better alternatives. Burning a CD is cost-effective, but you can't reuse the media after you've finished with your work. Thumb drives became an immediate hit, but the smaller size limitations keep some folks from jumping on that bandwagon.
So the next logical step was some sort of small form factor hard drive and X-Micro has delivered it. While you won't want to use it for game installations, it is more than capable of handling work data you take home or even backing up important data. For those motherboards that support booting from alternative locations like the USB port, you can even install an operating system onto this drive and have a completely different system at your immediate disposal. Only your imagination will limit you in regards to what you can do with this drive. Add to this the choice of sizes up to 40GB and you open up all kinds of windows of opportunity. This is truly the next step in modern technology and it will only go up from here.
As far as price is concerned, you can expect manufacturer's suggested retail pricing to start at about $150US. The 20GB model tested in this review has a MSRP of $199.95 and is roughly the middle of the product line. This falls into the average price range for his type of component, so while you're not getting a price lower than everybody else, you'll get one that is competitive with other drives of this type currently available on the market.
About the only real down side to this device is X-Micro's choice of using a drive with only a 512KB buffer. They currently have similar models with 2MB buffers that would likely enhance performance. Other than this, however, you have a very good package here.
Bottom line... If you're looking for external storage that gives you the speed and performance of an internal drive, look elsewhere. If, however, you've been looking at some means of storing a lot of data and also want the ability to drop it into your pocket, then the X-Micro DisGo deserves your full attention. With drive sizes up to 40GB and speeds that are not too far behind flash memory style thumb drives, the possibilities are nearly endless.
Real hard drive, not flash memory
Very small size
Sizes available to 40GB
Price may be too high for many
Only 512KB buffer
Rating - 9 out of 10 and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Editors Choice Award!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Red Dead Redemption 2 delayed to Spring 2018
- FF14: Stormblood's job level-up potions cost $25
- LG announces rugged smartphone - X Venture
- Destiny 2 replaces major subclasses and abilities
- Far Cry 5 isn't a Western, set in modern day Montana
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK with SSD M.2 Plextor M8PeG 256gb. low speed after shut down
- Prey Review: Dark Stars, Darker Thoughts
- Alien Covenant Movie Review
- Custom Storage Unit
- Western Digital sets new standard with latest generation in popular HGST-brand Ultrastar SAS SSD family
- AMD raises expectations for server performance, unveils EPYC processor brand for the datacenter
- HighPoint's SSD7101 PCIe board-sized drive series integrate Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs to deliver groundbreaking performance over 12GB/s
- Micron accelerates all-flash storage speed, performance and value with new flexible petabyte-scale enterprise data center solution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 and 630 mobile platforms drive advanced photography, enhanced gaming, integrated connectivity and machine learning