Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF
To test the visual effects capabilities of the card, we enabled 4xAA (anti aliasing) and 8xAF (anisotropic filtering). These technologies are used to improve the overall look of each rendered screen. Anti aliasing smoothes jagged edges created by near-vertical and near-horizontal lines, while anisotropic filtering improves the appearance of non-linear surfaces and texture mapping - reducing visual artefacts near vanishing points for example.
As the level of filtering applied increases, the graphics card has to work much harder to render each frame. For example, depending on the filtering method used, 4xAA can require the card to render the same screen four times before the final output is shown. Needless to say, this can (and usually does) have a substantial impact on a card's ability to render frame quickly, and the onboard supporting 3D architecture become vitally important - these transformations simply can't be made on the fly by the GPU alone.
Typically, you expect to find that at the same resolution, frame rates are lower with AA/AF enabled. At lower resolutions, however, the overhead is not as dramatic as with higher resolutions - rendering 1600x1200/4xAA/8xAF is exponentially harder than 1024x768/4xAA/8xAF. Much more than the difference between rendering 1024x768/noAA/noAF and 1600x1200/noAA/noAF.
By and large, the HIS X700 handled the visual filtering fairly consistently across each test - gaming frame rates were substantially worse than the 1024x768/noAA/noAF results, and marginally better than the 1600x1200/noAA/noAF results.
Just for fun, we tried running the Half Life 2 timedemos at 1600x1200/4xAA/8xAF. The card made a valiant attempt but the performance got progressively worse until the rendering engine gave in and the application crashed. Don't try and play anything with these settings, unless it's Doom (the original!).
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [The Package]
- Page 4 [The Card]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark03]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 2]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Graphics Card Overclocking]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Tesla founder deletes his tweet that hinted towards 'Model Y' vehicle
- Halo 5 will have a 'much more sociable' story thanks to 4-player co-op
- Pepsi launching 'Back to the Future II' bottle design
- Microsoft's Continuum turns Lumia 950s into mobile PC's
- Ubisoft announces Far Cry Primal set in Stone Age, coming 2016
- I Was Wondering If Someone Could Help Me With Driver Issue For SATA3 z97
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX 32GB USB iOS Flash Drive Review
- SSI EEB support for Lian Li high end chassis
- Need help with a build
- Force M7 Thor Mouse does not wake system?
- DOK SOLUTION UNVEILS CR09, 2 DEVICE CHARGER/CRADLE/CLOCK/SPEAKER/RADIO WITH 'SCD TECHNOLOGY' (SMART CURRENT DETECTION), NO MORE OVERCHARGING!
- FIRST CELLULAR ANDROID WEAR SMARTWATCH PREVIEWED AT LG EVENT
- LG UNVEILS V10, A SMARTPHONE DESIGNED WITH CREATIVITY IN MIND
- Marvell Teams Up with Google to Enable Chromecast 2.0 and Chromecast Audio
- GUITAR HERO LIVE PITS JAMES FRANCO AGAINST LENNY KRAVITZ IN AN EPIC ROCK BATTLE WITH THE PREMIERE OF THE 'WIN THE CROWD' LIVE-ACTION TRAILER