The SMB NAS market has seemingly begun to merge with the mainstream PC market. QNAP has thrown all of its chips on the table outright leading this charge with its full range of solutions from high powered Intel and AMD platforms aimed at providing all of your storage needs at home and on the road along with doubling as an entry-level PC with their Q vPC platform.
QNAP continues its tradition of a gold finish on its AMD platform with the TVS-473. This, as the model number should dictate, is a four-bay solution, built on the AMD Merlin Falcon platform launched in 2015. This SoC houses two CPU units with two cores and eight GPU Compute Units. This solution is clocked at 2.1GHz and consumes 15W TDP. This solution is capable of processing both DDR3 and DDR4 with QNAP opting for 8, 16, and 64GB DDR4 configurations.
At the core, this solution runs on the QTS 4.3 software platform with client support for Linux and Unix platforms along with MacOS and Windows 7 through 10 and Server 2003 through 2012 R2.
Hardware specs above go into more detail on the NAS. As mentioned, we have an AMD platform with three memory options available direct from QNAP. With that comes hardware encryption via AES-NI and support for a maximum of 64GB. Memory is slotted using four onboard SO-DIMM slots. The software or firmware of the machine is installed on a 512MB SATA DOM while the unit supports four 3.5" HDDs along with two 2260 or 2280 SATA SSDs.
On the rear of the unit, you will find four Gigabit Ethernet ports below three USB 3.0 ports and two HDMI 2.0 capable of pushing 4K30p video via the R7 graphics core. Expandability is furthered with two PCIe 3.0 slots, one occupied by a USB 3.1 card while the other lies empty. For our testing, I installed a Mellanox ConnectX-3 Pro in the TVS-473 and set it up on our 10Gbe network.
The MSRP of the QNAP TVS-473 16G comes in at $1299.99 with a two-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The QNAP TVS-473 SMB NAS (Tested at 10Gbps) retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The QNAP TVS-473 SMB NAS (Tested at 10Gbps) retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Quake Champions enters Steam Early Access on the PC
- Destiny 2 rocks on the PC with its new 4K 60FPS trailer
- Intel Core i9-7980XE pre-orders begins, priced at $1999
- ASUS tease ROG Strix RX Vega 56 OC Edition graphics card
- Intel Core i3-8350K perf: competes with Core i7-7700K
- Lenovo Legion Y720 (Kaby Lake) Gaming Laptop Review
- Killer Networking - Killer control center new version (Z97X Gaming 5)
- GIGABYTE X399 AORUS Gaming 7 TR4 Motherboard Review
- Linksys WRT32x AC3200 Wireless Gaming Router Review
- Massive drop in temps by lowering "VCCPLL OC" in BIOS: Is the reported temperature correct?
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower
- Longsys' world-first 11.5x13mm NVMe BGA SSD drives new mobile user experience