It is clear that the nVidia nForce4 platform has become the chipset of choice for the AMD Athlon 64 platform for the moment, however, we are starting to see ULi coming up with chipsets that are not only powerful, but are offering the same features and the nForce4 at a cheaper price. This is why we are starting to see a drop in nVidia's pricing on NF4 SLI chipsets, and why we are now seeing budget motherboards for K8 with SLI support.
Albatron has done a very good job in terms of its implementation of the NF4 SLI. One thing that impressed us was no SLI adjustment card that you normally see, however, this is done not though a SLI digital switch like MSI and ASUS now have, but by actually routing the two PCI-E x16 slots with only 8 lanes each. When only using a single graphics card, you will find that it will only run in PCI-E x8 mode, this is why we believe we had a slight drop in gaming performance. You will notice performance decreases more when you're running at a high resolution with AA and AF turned on, at 1024 x 768 with no AA and AF and medium quality settings for example, you likely won't see much performance penalty.
Overall we found that Albatron's past implementations have been rather impressive, and this motherboard is no exception - if you want budget SLI, the Albatron K8SLI is one to really consider.
Cheap (but not nasty)
Dual BIOS solution
Will fit inside tight-fitting mid-sized cases
No need to use an SLI selector
Permanently hardwired x8 PCI-E x16 slots
Rating - 8 out of 10 and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Best Value Award
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [Features]
- Page 4 [Overclocking]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Sandra]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - PCMark05]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Series]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 2]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Qualcomm teases 48-core processor on 10nm process
- Watch Shigeru Miyamoto play Mario's theme song on guitar
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive update enhances audio
- BitFenix reveals new enthusiast Shogun PC case
- Nintendo's Super Mario Run mobile game is online-only
- ASUS Maximus Ranger not detecting my GPU
- x99 Taichi gets WHEA 17 errors and BSOD124
- Dk-q1 / dk-q1h
- asrock 880g pro3 codes E8>54>19
- ADATA SC660 240GB Portable SSD Review
- BIOSTAR announces new motherboard features
- ADATA releases updated SC660H and SV620H 3D NAND external SSDs
- BitFenix announces the Shogun chassis with ASUS Aura support
- Bluetooth 5 specification now available, 4x Range, 2x Speed
- Zadak511 reveals SHIELD Series with RGB DDR4 RAM and RGB SSD