It is clear that the nVidia nForce4 platform has become the chipset of choice for the AMD Athlon 64 platform for the moment, however, we are starting to see ULi coming up with chipsets that are not only powerful, but are offering the same features and the nForce4 at a cheaper price. This is why we are starting to see a drop in nVidia's pricing on NF4 SLI chipsets, and why we are now seeing budget motherboards for K8 with SLI support.
Albatron has done a very good job in terms of its implementation of the NF4 SLI. One thing that impressed us was no SLI adjustment card that you normally see, however, this is done not though a SLI digital switch like MSI and ASUS now have, but by actually routing the two PCI-E x16 slots with only 8 lanes each. When only using a single graphics card, you will find that it will only run in PCI-E x8 mode, this is why we believe we had a slight drop in gaming performance. You will notice performance decreases more when you're running at a high resolution with AA and AF turned on, at 1024 x 768 with no AA and AF and medium quality settings for example, you likely won't see much performance penalty.
Overall we found that Albatron's past implementations have been rather impressive, and this motherboard is no exception - if you want budget SLI, the Albatron K8SLI is one to really consider.
Cheap (but not nasty)
Dual BIOS solution
Will fit inside tight-fitting mid-sized cases
No need to use an SLI selector
Permanently hardwired x8 PCI-E x16 slots
Rating - 8 out of 10 and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Best Value Award
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [Features]
- Page 4 [Overclocking]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Sandra]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - PCMark05]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Series]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 2]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Samsung Galaxy S7 will have Qualcomm or Samsung processors
- NVIDIA showed off its next-gen HBM-based Pascal GPU in Japan recently
- Players attempt to enter nostalgia trip as CODPROMOD kicks on
- Check out these official DOCTOR WHO wired and wireless headphones
- A Full HD 16 inch display via USB, meet the AOC PRO
- Why will my video card not work?
- M.2 Drive not showing up.
- Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 Stabilty Issue!!!
- Tesoro Lobera Spectrum RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Gigabyte Windows 10 driver updates, Utilities...
- MASSIVE AUDIO Introduces DOCTOR WHO Bluetooth And Wired Headphones
- BOXX Introduces the World's Smallest Overclocked Workstation - APEXX 1
- AOC's New Full HD USB Monitor Makes the Perfect Laptop or Desktop Companion
- Feel the Power and Speed Inside Your Laptop NOX DDR4 64GB 3000MHz SO-DIMM The True Champion
- Creative Team Behind Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood Launch New Clay Animated Video Game, Armikrog