Z270-WS Circuit Analysis Continued
ASUS uses the Realtek ALC1220 with a custom EMI shield, Nichicon Gold series audio capacitors, two Texas Instruments RC4580I amplifiers (possibly in a multi-stage filter), and a physical division of the audio section of the PCB to improve overall audio quality.
The Avago PLX PEX8747 provides x32 PCI-E 3.0 downstream from only x16 PCI-E 3.0, meaning if the CPU provides x16 then the PEX8747 can provide the GPUs with x32. The tradeoff is increased latency, but you will only really see diminishing returns if you only use a single GPU.
Multi-GPU configurations should benefit, and the PEX8747 is the only way to get 3-way and 4-way SLI on the Z270 platform. Multiple ASMedia ASM1480 quick switches move around PCI-E bandwidth, and we find a second clock buffer on the motherboard to facilitate the PEX8747, implementation.
While we usually find the i219v on Z270 motherboards, ASUS has implemented the Intel i219LM, which is the workstation counterpart of the consumer Intel PHY used for Gbit LAN. The second Intel NIC is powered by an i210AT standalone NIC.
The Z270-WS has many ROG specific chips located on the motherboard, they usually have a ROG symbol on them, and they provide extra functions such as those pertaining to overclocking or any of the many workstation features. For rear USB 3.1, ASUS has deployed the ASMedia ASM2142 controller and the ASM1543 type-C switch and controller.
A second ASMedia ASM2142 is used to provide the internal type-C USB 3.1 header located near the 24-pin power connector. While not all of ASUS's Z270 motherboards support UEFI Flashback, the Z270 WS does support this feature. The chip labeled "BIOS" provides this functionality.
An IDT6V41638B clock buffer is used to improve BCLK overclocking margins. The Parade PS175HDM provides HDMI 2.0 from the digital video output from the iGPU.
An ASUS AURA chip provides RGB LED control for the RGB LED header. The TPU chip provides extra system monitoring and fan control. The Macro chip provides the special keyboard Macro functions of the motherboard.
The nuvoTon NCT6793D is the SuperIO that provides fan control, system monitoring, a bunch of other system management features.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United Kingdom: The ASUS Z270-WS Motherboard retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Z270-WS Overview]
- Page 3 [ASUS Z270-WS Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASUS Z270-WS Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ARMS sells over 100,000 copies in Japan in first week
- Titanfall 2 may hit 6K on Xbox One X with 100% GPU usage
- Take-Two relents on singleplayer GTA mods
- 47% of gamers spend money while playing games
- MSI Afterburner now has hardware plot graphics
- Computer freeze and audio buzz issue
- AZZA Photios 250 Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Team T-Force Dark ROG DDR4-3000 16GB Memory Kit Review
- GA-X58A-UD3R wake on lan problem
- In Win 301 Mini-Tower Chassis Review
- Logitech Circle 2 will be compatible with Amazon Echo Show
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1517 and DS1817
- Deep Silver and 4A Games are proud to announce Metro Exodus
- Microsoft premieres Xbox One X, world's most powerful console
- Phison gears up for mobile phone market with PS8226 3D NAND eMMC 5.1 controller