Instillation of i-RAM is simple - there really is nothing to it and if you have installed a normal hard drive before, you shouldn't run in to any problems.
After you have plugged the device into a spare PCI slot as well as the SATA cable into a spare SATA port (preferably a SATA controller not hooked into the PCI bus so you are not limited in transfer speeds by the slow PCI bus) and gone back into Windows, I-RAM detects and acts just like a normal SATA/Parallel ATA hard drive. Plug it in and Windows detects it (no drivers need in XP) and you'll just have the initialize the drive and format. No reboots are required, which is a bonus.
If you want to install Windows on i-RAM, you simply setup as you normally would and format the hard drive when it comes time to selecting the install drive. If the SATA port you plug i-RAM into is native, you won't run in to any troubles at all. In the event it isn't on a native SATA port, you will just have to install the SATA controller drivers like you would have to for any normal hard drive.
On the other hand, if you're going to use i-RAM for installing only a few applications or your swap file and is plugging into a system that already has a boot drive then you just have to make your way into Administrative Tools under the Control Panel.
Here you make your way to Computer Management - the Storage section.
You will see i-RAM is not initialized and unallocated.
All you have to do is right click where it says Disk 1 (in our case) and click on Initialize Disk. Follow the step by step prompt and it will be initialized in no time.
Once the disk is initialized you then have to right click on the unallocated area and format the disk. Again follow the step by step prompts and you can do a Quick Format without any problems.
Once this is all done you can see that the drive is healthy.
With that out the way you can make your way to My Computer and see that the drive is up and running and ready for us to benchmark!
(Click here to download i-RAM Chipset Support List PDF)
UPDATE: The recommended chipset list by Gigabyte is only a work in progress and many other future chipsets should be supported.
i-RAM will only work on certain chipsets according to the i-RAM Chipset Support List supplied to us by Gigabyte. It'll work on most new chipsets from Intel, nVidia, SIS, VIA and ULi but make sure you check the PDF first (link above) to make sure it'll work on your motherboard.
We can only assume Gigabyte will release new drivers or BIOS updates for i-RAM for future chipsets to maintain compatibility but we have no official word on that as yet.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- AMD reduces price on Radeon R9 Fury X, Fury and Nano - Fury X now $589
- Star Trek DS9 Blu-ray campaign warps into view
- Humai wants to transfer your consciousness to an artificial body
- New chip could charge your phone in 10 minutes, Samsung interested
- 2nd-gen MSI ECO series motherboards debut
- Lexar JumpDrive M20i 32GB OTG iOS Flash Drive Review
- Gibabyte GA-Z170X- Gaming 7 Supported RAM (2 x16Gb or 4 x 8GB) ?
- heya! PC-A10 case parts?
- Enermax ETS-T40fit CPU Coolers Review
- Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation 1TB Review
- Eurocom offers $500 USD off Black Friday & Cyber Monday deal for EUROCOM Sky X9 Desktop Laptop with Intel Skylake desktop class CPUs and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Desktop GPU and 64 GB DDR4 memory
- MSI @ DREAMHACK WINTER 2015
- ADATA Releases the Lightning Card Reader
- MSI Announces ECO Series Socket LGA1151 Motherboards
- Mionix Announces New-generation SARGAS Mousepad Family