Test System Setup
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 660 (800MHz FSB) (Supplied by Intel)
Memory: 2x Corsair 512MB DDR2-800 (Supplied by Corsair)
Motherboard: ASUS P5WD2 Premium (Supplied by ASUS)
Graphics Card: ASUS Radeon X800XT Platinum (Supplied by ASUS )
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP SP2
For our testing we used the ASUS P5WD2 Premium motherboard with the ICH7-R SB. Only Intel and nVidia have full SATA-II standard support in their latest chipsets. SiS currently has SATA-II on the cards as does ULi and ATI. VIA has not announced any new SATA-II support yet.
Both of our test drives were connected to the system through the ICH7-R SB and it's worth noting Seagate's current generation of SATA drives (7200.8) offer pretty good performance (as discussed here in our review of the drive earlier this year) so the Western Digital SATA-II drive will be under some pressure to perform well.
We would have liked to test in RAID 0 but unfortunately we only received one drive from Western Digital so we'll just be testing with single drives.
Let's get started!
Version and / or Patch Used: 3.0
Developer Homepage: http://www.futuremark.com
Product Homepage: http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php?request=HdTach /
HD Tach has been around for a long time and is excellent when it comes to testing hard drive performance. It is also a very handy program when it comes to testing the controller used on particular motherboards. Tests such as Read, CPU Utilization and Burst are available at a click of the button and give you a good idea of how the hard drive can perform from system to system.
Despite a higher Host to drive transfer speed of SATA-II, it still has no real world advantage.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [Features]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and HD Tach]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- For Honor PC requirements revealed
- Take a closer look at the Xbox One's 28nm APU die
- New images of the upcoming LG G6 leaked
- COD: Infinite Warfare - best-selling game of 2016 in US
- The entire gaming market slumped 12% in the US last year
- Black screen GA Z170X ULTRA GAMING BIOS F21 I7 6400 T HELP
- hp printer technical support
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Z170MX-Gaming 5 + i5 7600k.. Should work or not?
- ASRock 2.70 Splash Screen replaces Windows?
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni