AMD included the Wraith Max cooler in our review package, it came boxed separately and utilizes copper heat pipes.
The heat sink utilizes four copper heat pipes that go through the aluminum heat sink fins. The large fan and shroud have integrated RGB LEDs. The bottom of the copper base has some pre-applied thermal paste.
The fan comes with an RGB LED header cable and a USB header cable. Presumably to control the RGB LEDs if your motherboard doesn't have an RGB LED header. I was able to control the RGB LEDs through the header on our ASRock B350 motherboard.
Taking apart the cooler isn't easy, and I don't recommend you try. Opening up the fan revealed a Holtek HT32F52341 microcontroller. It only controls the RGB LEDs either through RGB LED inputs from the motherboard or through a USB interface. The board is powered through the fan's 12v rail, so if you don't plug in either the USB or RGB LED cables, the ring still lights up and goes through a rainbow of colors. The fan is rated at 0.5A and is made by Cooler Master.
It was very easy to sync the RGB LEDs on the motherboard, in the memory, and in the Wraith Max cooler, and the resulting system looked awesome.
AMD provided us with an ASRock AB350-Gaming K4 motherboard, a Wraith Max Cooler (used with the 1600X), GEIL EVO RGB LED memory rated at 3200MHz, and a 512GB Samsung 960 EVO SSD. The B350 chipset allows for overclocking of the CPU and memory, but at a much lower cost compared to X370.
The main difference between the X370 and B350 chipsets are cost, four fewer USB 3.0 ports, two fewer SATA6Gb/s ports, two fewer PCI-E 2.0 ports, and no dual GPU slot capability. If that is fine with you, then you should definitely get a B350 chipset motherboard rather than an X370 chipset motherboard.
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X and 1500X
- Motherboard: ASRock AB350-Gaming K4
- Cooler: AMD Wraith Spire and Max Coolers
- Memory: GEIL EVO RGB 3200MHz 16GB (8GBx2)
- Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Storage - Boot Drive: Samsung 960 EVO 512GB M.2
- Storage - USB Drive: Corsair Voyager GS 64GB - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Case: Corsair Obsidian 900D - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Power Supply: Corsair AX1200i - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10 - Buy from Amazon
- Monitor: ASUS PA328 ProArt 32" 4K - Buy from Amazon
- Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX - Buy from Amazon
- Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Headset: Corsair VOID RGB Wireless - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The CPUs and Packaging]
- Page 3 [Wraith Max and Test Setup]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake Video Transcoding, ScienceMark, and SuperPI]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 7 [Out of the Box Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, GTA:V, Ashes of the Singularity]
- Page 8 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 4K gaming audience is 'too limited' for Nintendo
- AMD EPYC: 64C/128T dual-CPU against Intel 56C/112T CPUs
- Samsung is close to the world's most profitable company
- AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition vs NVIDIA TITAN Xp
- Cheapest Rainbow Six Siege in big Ubisoft PC Summer Sale
- Patriot Viper V570 RGB Laser Gaming Mouse Review
- WD Red 10TB NAS HDD Review
- modded my x79-ud3 bios, processor support question
- The Mummy Movie Review
- Computer freeze and audio buzz issue
- Logitech Circle 2 will be compatible with Amazon Echo Show
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1517 and DS1817
- Deep Silver and 4A Games are proud to announce Metro Exodus
- Microsoft premieres Xbox One X, world's most powerful console
- Phison gears up for mobile phone market with PS8226 3D NAND eMMC 5.1 controller