Packaging and Overview
ASUS's box is quite small, as small as the motherboard itself. It highlights the STRIX features such as RGB LEDs. The motherboard is very well protected inside the box.
The accessory package includes ROG stickers, SATA cable labels, ROG coaster, ROG case badge, front panel header extension cable, WIFI antenna, CPU installation tool, IO panel, four SATA cables, RGB header extension cable, M.2 installation hardware, manuals, and driver DVD.
The STRIX Z270I Gaming has three fan headers. The CPU fan header supports 1A, DC or PWM operation, and is circled in red. There are two other fan headers circled in blue, they are 4-pin fan headers, but according to the manual, they only offer voltage mode operation. That isn't such a bad thing since they will also work with PWM fans, and will be able to control them through DC mode operation.
The motherboard is super small, as are all Mini-ITX motherboards, but ASUS did a great job of packing in features. The heat sinks are also quite well done, the VRM heat sink closest to the IO panel is raised so that it can span outwards to help improve surface area. The PCH heat sink cools the PCH and an M.2 drive that is sandwiched between two layers. The back of the motherboard has an M.2 slot and some hardware.
The rear IO panel features three USB 3.0 type-A ports, USB 3.0 type-C, four USB 2.0 ports, HDMI, DiaplyPort, Gbit LAN, WIFI connectors, and 7.1 audio outputs with S/PDIF out.
A single reinforced PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot is reinforced in x, y, and z-axis directions. At the edge of the motherboard, we get front panel connectors, USB 3.0 internal header, two SATA6Gb/s ports, and an RGB LED header.
Two SATA6Gb/s connectors sit to the right of the PCH heat sink. The motherboard also features a USB 3.1 front panel header at the top left of the motherboard.
Boot LEDs located on the top right of the motherboard help tell you if a device is preventing bootup. The topside M.2 slot is revealed when you unscrew the top part of the PCH heat sink. There is a large thermal pad on the top part of the heat sink to cool the M.2 drive's controller.
A second M.2 slot is located on the back of the motherboard. The CMOS battery is attached to the WIFI unit by a double-sided sticky pad.
The heat sinks are all screwed down and make excellent contact with the components they cool down.
PRICING: You can find the ASUS ROG STRIX Z270I Gaming Mini-ITX Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The ASUS ROG STRIX Z270I Gaming Mini-ITX Motherboard retails for $179 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The ASUS ROG STRIX Z270I Gaming Mini-ITX Motherboard retails for £191 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and STRIX Z270I Gaming Overview]
- Page 3 [ASUS STRIX Z270I Gaming Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASUS STRIX Z270I Gaming Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Blizzard working on new mobile games
- GALAX GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White: dual-slot GTX 1080 Ti
- The Division receives loadout feature in PTR patch
- CliffyB: AAA games in a 'weird spot', VR in '80s' period
- GDDR6 is coming to high-end GPUs in early 2018
- Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 NVMe SSD Review
- ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 K6 USB 3.1/TB Issues
- HyperX Pulsefire FPS Gaming Mouse Review
- Hidrate Spark 2.0 Bluetooth Smart Bottle Review
- Asus MCE remote IR codes required
- SAPPHIRE introduces new PULSE graphics card family
- HyperX Cloud Revolver S gaming headset now shipping
- SK Hynix introduces industry's fastest 8Gb graphics DRAM (GDDR6)
- Samsung and Amazon Video deliver next generation HDR video experience with updated open standard HDR10+
- AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi Available at Best Buy, GameStop and Sam's Club