Physical Overview Continued
Removal of the GPU requires you to unscrew two screws at the rear of the case, which is a bit hard to get to. These two screws secure a bracket that is screwed into the back of the GPU, so that the GPU doesn't droop during normal use, and doesn't break the PCI-E slot during transport. It's a novel solution to a problem many people don't think about but is the cause of most DOA systems.
The front intake fan has an exhaust shroud that directs the air intake in three directions. Air is directed upwards towards the top drive, downwards towards the bottom drive, and straight ahead into the case. The rear exhaust fan is attached to the case with four rubber anti-vibration inserts to reduce noise.
The ThinkStation P410's front panel can be removed quite easily without tools for vent cleaning. The front intake fan also uses rubber anti-vibration inserts. The tower also has an external diode temperature sensor which uses a 2n3904 NPN transistor, and this temperature sensor has a large impact on system fans.
The ThinkStation P410 doesn't have a typical ATX power supply. Instead, it uses a 450W FSP Group PSU which has three separate 12v voltage rails and one standby 5v rail. There are no 5v or 3.3v power cables as you might expect from a consumer system, and there is no need since the motherboard will act as a power supply for devices that might require 3.3v or 5v, such as an SSD.
Removing the GPU reveals another full sized x16 and an x8 slot. The two x16 slots and the x8 slot are PCI-E 3.0 compliant and get their bandwidth from the CPU. Since the CPU has x40 PCI-E 3.0 lanes, none of the slots share bandwidth. The last x4 slot is PCI-E 2.0 and is routed to the PCH.
Out of the four memory DIMMs, only the two on the left of the CPU are occupied, you can install matching DIMMs on the right for quad-channel memory support. The SSD and ODD get their power through a special connector on the motherboard, allowing the motherboard to cut off their power and regulate it. There are many extra SATA power connectors that are unused so that you can add more drives.
The motherboard also has multiple open SATA ports for storage or ODD expansion. Many of the connectors on the motherboard can be found in servers, but there are also some custom connectors for things such as the external temperature sensor.
The single slotted Quadro M4000 with bracket, two 8GB Hynix ECC-RDIMMs, and 1TB Micron M600 SSD can be easily serviced. Thermal paste is well applied to the triple heat pipe cooler. The cooler is quite good for an OEM system with three copper heat pipes and direct copper to CPU mounting.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Next-gen PS4 coming in 2018, analyst predicts
- Acer's new laptop rocks unreleased NVIDIA graphics card
- AMD Radeon RX Vega loses to GTX 1080 at 1080p
- Halo 6's 'compelling' story will focus on Master Chief
- AMD Radeon RX Vega bundled with Quake Champions
- Cutting LED-Strips - LED50RGB-2
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives