The motherboard is much more revealing when you take off the shields and heat sinks.
MSI's VRM on the Z270 Gaming M7 uses an 8+2+1 phase design. The main PWM provides 4 phases to doublers that double them to eight, while the iGPu gets a single phase doubled to two. However, the datasheet for the UPI Semiconductor uP9508 is publicly available (it is a hybrid PWM), and states the PWM is a 3+2 phase PWM.
Looking at the thermals and inductor routing, as well as the doubler count, indicate 4+1 phase configuration, which leads me to believe that perhaps the B version of the PWM offers 1 phase as flexible, that can be used for the CPU or iGPU set of phases. The VRM uses uP1961 doublers which also must act as dual drivers. Each CPU phase gets a single NIKOS PK6328A PowerPAK for the high side and PK616BA for the low-side, each iGPu phase gets an extra low-side MOSFET.
The doublers/dual drivers are located at the rear of the PCB. The memory VRM is a two-phase powered by the same NIKOS MOSFETs, and a digital Primarion PWM controller, the PV3205.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Z270 GAMING M7 Overview]
- Page 3 [MSI Z270 GAMING M7 Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [MSI Z270 GAMING M7 Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Ubisoft could be working on next-gen Splinter Cell
- Windows 10 update will use AI to fight cyberattacks
- Star Wars Battlefront II alpha could hit all platforms
- Escape from Tarkov closed beta begins next month
- Hardware deals: $229 GTX 1060, $649 desktop with RX 580
- GIGABYTE X370-Gaming K7 Motherboard Review
- BIOSTAR X370GTN Gaming Motherboard Review
- Intel Optane in RAID 0 - World's Fastest System Disk
- GIGABYTE Z270X-Designare Motherboard Review
- AMD launches the world's fastest graphics card for machine learning development and advanced visualization workloads, Radeon Vega Frontier Edition, available now
- Toshiba develops world's first QLC BiCS FLASH 3D memory with 4-Bit-Per-Cell technology
- Logitech Circle 2 will be compatible with Amazon Echo Show
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1517 and DS1817
- Deep Silver and 4A Games are proud to announce Metro Exodus