Page 11[Overclocking and Power Consumption]
Overclocking is perhaps the strongest feature of the 7700K, and Intel has gone a bit further and added in some new settings for the 7700K. The first is the AVX Offset Ratio. Programs that use AVX such as IntelBurnTest spike power consumption and require more voltage to stay stable than non-AVX programs, so Intel has added in an AVX offset so that when an AVX program runs, the maximum overclock is reduced to avoid instability.
So while you game you can run at 5GHz, and when you want to run IntelBurnTest you can set a -200Mhz offset and the CPU frequency will drop to 4.8GHz for IntelBurnTest. The next thing Intel added is BCLK award adaptive voltage/frequency curve, and that should help simplify overclocking voltage levels.
The first thing I do is validate the CPU at the maximum frequency I can reach. In this case, I had to use Intel's Xtreme Tuning Utility to change the ratio in voltage after booting into Windows to 1.4v VCore (that's high for Kaby Lake). Since Sandy Bridge I haven't been able to easily validate 5.2GHz, Kaby Lake did it on the first try. Not only that, I could validate 5.3GHz on a really good chip if I had a program other than ITXU.
ASRock, ASUS, GIGABYTE (AORUS), and MSI all have reviews coming out soon. One of my new stability tests is for the system to attain 5GHz stable with a Corsair H110i AIO water cooling system and a 1.3v VCore. Every single motherboard I have tested so far has been able to attain 5GHz stability, which in this test means transcoding a 4GB 4K video to 1080p.
Did I mention in every case AVX Offset was not used, and the system ran 5GHz even when AVX was used? Results I have seen from MSI and ASUS's internal testing indicate that more than half of the CPUs they tested could run 5GHz stable with temperatures not peaking over 80C as long as a good cooler was used - that is excellent news.
Out of the box, with the 4.5GHz turbo, the 7700K uses a decent amount of power. Sometimes we forget that voltage alone doesn't increase power consumption, current increases from frequency increases does as well.
When we equalize the 6700K and 7700K, their power consumption numbers are basically identical.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [7700K, Z270 Motherboards, and Test Setup]
- Page 3 [Out of the Box: CINEBENCH, wPrime, AIDA64 EE AES, and FPU]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box: Handbrake Video Transcoding and ScienceMark]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box iGPU: GPGPU, UNIGINE, ResidentEvil, and 3DMark]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box dGPU: GTA:V, UNIGINE, Resident Evil, 3DMark]
- Page 7 [Clock for Clock: CINEBENCH, wPrime, AIDA64 EE AES, and FPU]
- Page 8 [Clock for Clock: Handbrake Video Transcoding and ScienceMark]
- Page 9 [Clock for Clock: GPGPU, UNIGINE, ResidentEvil, and 3DMark]
- Page 10 [Clock for Clock dGPU: GTA:V, UNIGINE, Resident Evil, 3DMark]
- Page 11 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 12 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Switch is all about 'playing games anywhere with anyone'
- Gabe Newell holding Reddit AmA tomorrow
- Stock Nintendo Switch JoyConGrip won't recharge JoyCons
- Samsung Galaxy S8 will have a headphone jack after all?
- HTC to launch only 6-7 devices this year
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- Can't Find PC-O10 Riser Kit
- Help overclocking x5460 / GA-EP43-UD3L past 3.99ghz
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99