Version and / or Patch Used: 2.47
ATTO is a timeless benchmark used to provide manufacturers with data used for marketing storage products. With ATTO, we are looking at maximum sequential performance with compressible data as well as the performance curve.
Compressible sequential read/write transfers max out at 563/527 MB/s. Both figures exceed WD's factory specs. Keep in mind this is our OS volume, and it is filled to 75% of its total capacity. Maximum sequential performance is achieved at 1MB transfers.
Right off the bat, we notice the WD Blue delivering a better performance curve than SanDisk's X400. We feel this is due to overprovisioning present on the Blue. The 750 EVO and MX300 both ramp up faster than the Blue.
The Blue is delivering the best small file performance of the bunch. The MLC-powered XTi takes the lead in the middle of the test. The Blue leads the field at the end of the test. Again, we see the Blue outperforming the X400.
Anvil Storage Utilities
Version and / or Patch Used: 1.1.0
Anvil's Storage Utilities is a storage benchmark designed to measure the storage performance of SSDs. The Standard Storage Benchmark performs a series of tests; you can run a full test or just the read or write test, or you can run a single test, i.e. 4k QD16. With Anvil's, we are focused on the total score.
Anvil's scoring typically provides us with a good indication of a drive's overall synthetic performance. Whenever we get a score of over 5,000, we take notice. The Blue delivers a very impressive score of 5,051. This is second only to Samsung's 750 EVO. The Blue even manages to outscore the MLC-powered XTi.
Comparing the Blue to the X400, we find the Blue delivering far better write performance and a far better total score. We consider 4K QD1 random read performance to be one of the best indicators of how well a drive will perform as an OS disk. We consider 10K at QD1 a milestone that very few SSDs are capable of delivering. Only the best can do it, and the Blue does it with ease.
(Anvil) Read IOPS through Queue Depth Scale
The Blue and X400 both deliver superior performance up to QD8, after which the Blue outperforms the X400. The Blue and X400 both deliver the goods at low queue depths which is what we are looking for when judging synthetic performance.
(Anvil) Write IOPS through Queue Scale
The Blue does outperform the X400 across the board. However, both are outperformed by the majority of the competing drives in our test pool.
PRICING: You can find the Western Digital Blue 1TB SATA III SSD for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Western Digital Blue 1TB SATA III SSD retails for $272 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Western Digital Blue 1TB SATA III SSD retails for £257 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Pricing & Availability]
- Page 2 [Drive Details]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Properties]
- Page 4 [Synthetic Benchmarks – ATTO & Anvil's]
- Page 5 [Synthetic Benchmarks – CDM & AS SSD]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks (Trace, OS Volume) - Vantage, PCMark 7 & PCMark 8]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks (Secondary) – IOPS, Response & Transfers]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks (Secondary) – PCMark 8 Extended]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks (Secondary) – 70/30 Mixed Workload]
- Page 10 [Maxed-Out Performance (MOP)]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Intel working on next-gen Xeon with 32C/64T of power
- Xbox boss: first-party Project Scorpio games 'critical'
- Apple rumored to consider purchasing Disney
- In Win launches X-Frame 2.0, tou 2.0 Signature chassis
- Uber suspends self-driving car tech after Arizona crash
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- Gigabyte Aorus z270x Gaming 9 Motherboard Bios Code: bcc0
- New Mobo and my W10 Install?
- Just finished my PC-011 Build
- ASUS M51Vr Notebook. Long story.
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse