Origin has already configured an overclock for the CPU, but if you want to go in there and tweak the maximum power limit or the voltage, you can do that through the BIOS or the CPU Memory Overclocking program. Memory/DRAM overclocking can also be done through this Windows application or the BIOS. The 4.5GHz overclock is already configured along with XMP on the memory, so you never really need to change any of these settings, but I was able to lower the voltage a little to reduce overall temperatures.
The GPU is also overclocked, but beware that to enjoy GPU overclocking, you must leave the system plugged into AC power. While the system is overclocked, the fan settings adjust to the overclocked preset; you can tweak that if you like.
Origin's Control Center is where you can access the overclocking programs as well as many other settings that would otherwise be handled by Fn buttons or through the control panel. Since the unit has a built-in Sabre DAC and Texas Instruments Burr-Brown amplifier, you can tune the correct impedance of your headphones if you know it.
Since 4K displays have a very high level of detail, some users don't like how small icons and other screen images appear, and you can control precise DPI scaling through the Control Center program as well. The SpyderUtility will apply a Video Card LUT (Lookup Table) upon startup.
Origin also supplies a keyboard customization application that allows you to set up the RGB keys, setup Macro keys, and even log statistics. It's very extensive and useful.
Creative's Sound Blaster X-Fi 5 software suite is included and will help drive the speakers even louder through its many effects and presets. The primary codec is from Realtek, and you can control basic audio settings through the Realtek HD Audio manager.
Killer's Network Manager is included, and you can accelerate games to take priority over other network bandwidth if you like. You can also team up the WIFI and Wired NIC to produce a much faster connection through Killer Double Shot Pro.
The BIOSEXCESS program will help add in your fingerprint so that you can log in through the fingerprint scanner.
I have reviewed a few notebooks with the Intel 6820HK, which is a mobile i7 with overclocking capabilities, but I was not able to overclock them from the BIOS since there were almost no overclocking settings available. The Origin EON17-X is a different story; overclocking settings are present, and you can configure the overclock through the BIOS.
You also have the ability to configure Thunderbolt 3 and the RAID array setup for the two Samsung 950 Pros. If you are going to overclock the included memory beyond Origin's overclock, you can also do that in the BIOS since you will have to restart anyway to apply the memory settings through Origin's application. If your overclock causes the system not to boot, you can restart the PC and press "Fn + D," then hit the power button on startup.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Physical Overview]
- Page 3 [Physical Overview Continued]
- Page 4 [Software and BIOS]
- Page 5 [System Performance Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [Gaming Performance Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System IO and Battery Performance]
- Page 8 [Thermal Performance]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung making next-gen 4K mobile displays with 800PPI
- HIS roars, launches their Radeon RX 500 series cards
- Intel launching 12C/24T chips with X299 on May 30
- GTA V is teaching autonomous cars how to drive
- Twitch plans to rope YouTubers with new tip system
- Hidrate Spark 2.0 Bluetooth Smart Bottle Review
- Asus MCE remote IR codes required
- Looking for instant flash bios files for P67 Pro3 B3
- Planet Earth II 4K Blu-ray Review
- Promise Technology Apollo Cloud 2TB Review
- AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi Available at Best Buy, GameStop and Sam's Club
- Nokia announces next-generation technologies for the advancement of virtual reality with 'OZO Reality' vision and partner ecosystem
- Razer expands the Razer Hammerhead v2 in-ear audio line with Bluetooth and iOS Lightning models
- MSI announces new thin and light GP62X and GP72X Leopard Pro Series gaming laptops
- EK is releasing Full-Cover water blocks for the ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti