Version and / or Patch Used: 3.0 Technical Preview
CrystalDiskMark is disk benchmark software that allows us to benchmark 4K and 4K queue depths with accuracy. Note: Crystal Disk Mark 3.0 Technical Preview was used for these tests since it offers the ability to measure native command queuing at QD4. When evaluating CDM results, we focus on 4K random performance at QD1 and QD4.
Both 960 EVO's set new lab records for 4K and 4K QD4 performance. The 250GB EVO delivers slightly better performance at QD1 and the 1TB slightly better performance at QD4. The performance of both EVO's at 4K QD1 is somewhat inflated by CDM; we are not seeing nearly as much performance from the rest of our testing. Intelligent TurboWrite must be kicking in at just the right time when running CDM.
Based on what we've seen from the 850 EVO vs. the 850 Pro, with the 850 EVO always delivering better 4K QD1 performance, this is what we expected to see from the 960 EVO. However, unlike we saw from the 850 EVO, this is only occurs with CDM.
With this version of CDM, sequential performance is measured at QD1 which is the reason sequential rates are lower than Samsung's quoted numbers which are measured at QD32. We can look to our MOP testing results to see that we have no issues meeting and exceeding exceeding Samsung's quoted CDM sequential speeds.
The 250GB 960 EVO delivers better 4K QD1 performance than the 1TB model. We attribute this to the fact that the 250GB model has a 2MB to 1GB DRAM to flash ratio and the 1TB model a 1MB to 1GB DRAM to flash ratio. Overall, the 250GB 960 EVO outperforms the 950 Pro, running about equal with OCZ's 512GB RD400. The 960 Pro outperforms the 1TB 960 Evo sequentially and at 4K QD1, but, the 960 EVO outperforms it in three of the five measured categories of this test.
Version and / or Patch Used: 1.7.4739.38088
AS SSD determines the performance of SSDs. The tool contains four synthetic as well as three practice tests. The synthetic tests are to determine the sequential and random read and write performance of the SSD. We evaluate AS SSD performance in terms of overall score.
AS SSD is a demanding test, and the 1TB 960 EVO produces a new lab record courtesy of Samsung's Intelligent TurboWrite technology. Samsung's 960 series absolutely dominate this testing due to the incredible IOPS generated by Samsung's five core 8-channel Polaris controller.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Drive Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Drive Details]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup, & Drive Properties]
- Page 4 [Synthetic Benchmarks - ATTO & Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 5 [Synthetic Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark & AS SSD]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks (OS) - PCMark Vantage, PCMark 7 & PCMark 8]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks (Secondary) - IOPS, Response & Transfer Rate]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) - PCMark 8 Extended]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) - 70/30 Mixed Workload]
- Page 10 [Maxed-Out Performance (MOP)]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- South Korea is getting an online version of Titanfall
- Artificial intelligence creates a (bad) Christmas song
- MacBook Pro GPU issues caused by software, not AMD
- HP's new supercomputer is 8000x faster than your PC
- AMD's Zen-capable X370 boards preview on December 13
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset