This has been our first retail offering of the VIA K8T890 chipset, in fact our first review of any K8T890 board and what we experienced was a good value product let down by its engineering on VIA's behalf and not Gigabyte.
We wanted to emphasise the VIA part because Gigabyte has done a remarkable job with what they have been given, it is VIA that has dropped the ball.
VIA has fell behind in the motherboard chipsets, especially on the Southbridge side. VIA had the VT8237 Southbridge out just after Intel released the ICH5 Southbridge. Since then Intel has upgraded to ICH6 with 4 port SATA, NCQ support and support for ATAPI, and now the ICH7 has hit with SATA-II support. VIA's main competition, SiS and nVidia also have far superior support - SiS has support for four SATA ports, Gigabit MAC on its 965 chipset and nVidia has support for four SATA-II ports, Gigabit MAC as standard and support for RAID bridging between SATA and PATA ports. VIA simply has SATA support for two channels and RAID capabilities - No Gigabit MAC, no support for ATAPI SATA devices and an outdated sound codec.
With that Gigabyte has done a great job simply by following design specs to keep the K8 happy. We can only hope that VIA releases a Southbridge that can keep up, as ULi is now hot on VIA's heals, with ULi making the cut will leave a very sore point with the end users who have held VIA up to the savoir of the AMD platform for years.
The Gigabyte K8T890 is a good value motherboard but besides that it doesn't jump out at us with anything special to break a sweat over.
PCI Express support
Performance on par with other K8 boards
Supports new AMD processors
Let down by old Southbridge with small feature-set - where is the new Southbridge VIA?
Rating - 7.5 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 3 [Features - Package and Motherboard]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 4 [Features - The Chipsets]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 5 [Features - Overclocking]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Sandra]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Series]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung unveils bendable/stretchable OLED display
- MSI scoops 5 awards for Computex Best Choice Award 2017
- Surface Pro continues to evolve, now packs Kaby Lake
- Qualcomm LTE chip powers Microsoft's new Surface Pro
- FSP will show off a watercooled PSU at Computex
- Alienware 15 R3 Laptop Storage Performance Investigation
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK with SSD M.2 Plextor M8PeG 256gb. low speed after shut down
- Prey Review: Dark Stars, Darker Thoughts
- Western Digital sets new standard with latest generation in popular HGST-brand Ultrastar SAS SSD family
- AMD raises expectations for server performance, unveils EPYC processor brand for the datacenter
- HighPoint's SSD7101 PCIe board-sized drive series integrate Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs to deliver groundbreaking performance over 12GB/s
- Micron accelerates all-flash storage speed, performance and value with new flexible petabyte-scale enterprise data center solution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 and 630 mobile platforms drive advanced photography, enhanced gaming, integrated connectivity and machine learning