Packaging and Overview
The Z170X-Ultra Gaming's box is red and black, like the motherboard when its powered on. Packaging is nothing fancy, but it's good enough to protect the motherboard.
Accessories include 2x SATA6Gb/s cables, IO shield, SLI connector, Velcro cable ties, G-Connector, storage device stickers, G1 case badge, door hanger, driver DVD, and manuals.
The GIGABYTE Z170X-Ultra Gaming has five 4-pin headers. The CPU fan header circled in red offers PWM only control; the two headers circled in blue operate in PWM or voltage mode, and the two headers circled in green operate in voltage mode.
The motherboard has a very neutral color theme, and while RGB LEDs would have been perfect, GIGABYTE instead chose to use red LEDs. There is a lot of cut out yellowish diffused PCB lining the edge of the motherboard, which will light up when the LEDs are on. Under the VRM, PCI-E slots, and between the memory DIMMs are red LEDs that illuminate the motherboard.
The IO panel on the Z170X-Ultra Gaming carries four USB 3.0 ports, two USB 2.0 ports, mini DisplayPort, mini DisplayPort in (for ThunderBolt), PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse, USB 3.1/Thunderbolt 3 Type-C connector, USB 3.1 Type-A connector, HDMI, RJ-45 LAN, and 7.1 audio outputs with S/PDIF.
The PCI-E layout is designed so that the first two full sized x16 slots get bandwidth from the CPU. They will work at x16/x0 or x8/x8 for SLI or CrossFireX. These full sized x16 slots are reinforced with metal braces that keep them steady even under the pressure of a heavy GPU. The last x16 slot operates at x4 and is routed to the PCH; it can also be used for RAID with the M.2 and U.2 slots.
There is a 32Gb/s M.2 slot located below the CPU socket and supports RAID with the U.2 and last PCI-E x16 slot.
The U.2 connector is located in the lower right-hand corner of the motherboard. Two of the six SATA6Gb/s ports from the PCH are straight while the remaining four are angled at 90 degrees and also support SATA Express.
There is a USB 3.0 internal header located below the 24-pin connector and two USB 2.0 headers located along the bottom of the motherboard.
The area between the DIMMs uses plastic columns to diffuse the red LED light.
The heat sinks and shield are all metal, and the heat sinks make great contact with the MOSFETs.
PRICING: You can find the GIGABYTE Z170X-Ultra Gaming Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The GIGABYTE Z170X-Ultra Gaming Motherboard retails for $170 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The GIGABYTE Z170X-Ultra Gaming Motherboard retails for £167 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Z170X-Ultra Gaming Overview]
- Page 3 [GIGABYTE Z170X-Ultra Gaming Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [GIGABYTE Z170X-Ultra Gaming Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Xbox wants to be the best place for devs to make money
- Amazon Prime now required for new Twitch subscriptions
- NVIDIA shows how awesome Gears of War 4 looks in DX12
- Ubisoft says Nintendo will be 'back in the race' with NX
- Amazon developing sports game, sandbox MMO, survival MMO
- Acer Chromebook R11 Review
- ASRock Z87 EXTREME4 won't restart - debug code 4F
- ASUS X99-Deluxe II Motherboard Review
- U.2 Kit on Taichi
- Z170X-Gaming 5 - Thunderbolt controller + Intel RST drivers issue.
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now