Inside the MasterBox 5
After removing the side panels and looking inside of the chassis, we see that all of the front I/O wiring has been tied to the motherboard tray, so it will not damage the window.
The front I/O wiring exits the main chamber at the top, just above the SSD mounting plate. This plate can be lowered to two other locations in this orientation, it can be mounted to the top of the HDD cage, or it can also go in behind the motherboard tray. If you want more of these drive plates, you would need to purchase more of them.
Behind the bezel, we find the fan low in the chassis, just in front of the HDD rack. The fan mounting offered in the side rails only supports two 140mm or 120mm fans and is why you need a bracket to support a third above this.
The HDD cage is completely removable, or it can be slid toward the PSU cover in two stages from where it was located from the factory. This also allows you to see the front 120mm fan and its 3-pin power connection hanging by the motherboard tray.
The motherboard tray is opened wide up for access to cooler back plates. It has 11 wiring holes, and more tie point than you will ever need. The tray is also labeled for not only the three motherboard form factors, but it also points out where the drive rack and SSD tray can be placed.
Below the motherboard tray, we find a thick plastic power supply cover. This is why there is a restriction on PSU length, as it does not run the entire length of the chassis as most cases offer. There is a hole at the top to help passing wires through it, and along the frame rail, it has "Designed by Cooler Master" carved into it.
The rear of the chassis houses the second 120mm fan put in the MasterBox 5, and it too uses a 3-pin connection for power. The expansion slots are held in with hex-head screws, and it is easier to see from this angle that the lowest cover is made to tend to the mouse or keyboard wiring.
Behind the motherboard tray, the space offered varies. There is 35mm of room at maximum, but less where the motherboard tray is bent for support and even less as you pass from the lower section to the top. Just below the access hole is where the SSD plate can be installed behind the tray.
All of the provided cabling from the front I/O panel is black, so it hides easily. In it, we find a native USB 3.0 connection, the HD Audio connection, and the ribbon cable with connections for the front lighting and buttons.
PRICING: You can find the Cooler Master MasterBox 5 Mid-Tower Chassis for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Cooler Master MasterBox 5 Mid-Tower Chassis retails for $70 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Cooler Master MasterBox 5 Mid-Tower Chassis]
- Page 4 [Inside the MasterBox 5]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Apple's next-gen MacBook Pro expected mid-October
- Xbox Scorpio's true 4K res won't be easy for developers
- NVIDIA shows off 4K 60FPS footage of Titanfall 2 on PC
- NVIDIA's new Xavier chip is super-fast, powered by Volta
- Star Citizen boss: it's the 'best damn everything sim'
- U.2 Kit on Taichi
- Z170X-Gaming 5 - Thunderbolt controller + Intel RST drivers issue.
- Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock Premium Edition Review
- GA-EX58-UD3R Vt-d support
- Seagate IronWolf 10TB NAS HDD Review
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now