Nearly two years ago, we got our hands-on the DS415play, an Intel Evansport platform that was built from the ground up as a media serving and data storage solution. The DS416play is the follow-up to that device and it based on new silicon from the Intel Braswell refresh, launched in January.
With the play moniker sitting firmly behind this new solution, we can reasonably expect the DS416play will be a solid media transcoding and serving device, along with its standard duties as a file server. The move to the DS416play and its extra horsepower allows for this solution to play and transcode single stream 4K video or up to three Full HD videos simultaneously. With this unit, a 400 series platform, it does carry four 3.5" bays with tool-less installation and is backed by the latest DSM OS, version 6.0.1.
Going over the hardware specifications of the DS416play, we have a Braswell platform as mentioned above, this time, the Intel Celeron N3060. This processor is a 64-bit capable chip operating at 1.6GHz with a burst frequency of 2.48GHz paired with 1GB of DDR3 memory.
Four bays complement this solution with both 2.5" and 3.5" support in the HDD and SSD type. Single volume support goes all the way up to 108TB while external storage is supported on all three USB 3.0 ports. With this being a DSM 6.0+ platform, we have support for BTRFS and EXT4 internally with NTFS, FAT, and HFS+ added for external solutions. Dual Gigabit LAN rounds out the rear I/O with WOL support and cooling this entire unit is dual 92mm fans.
The MSRP of the Synology DS416play comes in at $459.99 with a two-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find the Synology DS416play Four-Bay Consumer NAS for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Synology DS416play Four-Bay Consumer NAS retails for $460 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Synology DS416play Four-Bay Consumer NAS retails for £407 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Synology DS416play NAS Appliance]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Web Management]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD's next-gen 'Horned Owl' APU arrives in 2017
- Xbox wants to be the best place for devs to make money
- Amazon Prime now required for new Twitch subscriptions
- NVIDIA shows how awesome Gears of War 4 looks in DX12
- Ubisoft says Nintendo will be 'back in the race' with NX
- Acer Chromebook R11 Review
- ASRock Z87 EXTREME4 won't restart - debug code 4F
- ASUS X99-Deluxe II Motherboard Review
- U.2 Kit on Taichi
- Z170X-Gaming 5 - Thunderbolt controller + Intel RST drivers issue.
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now