This is our new section for video card reviews, with DX12 and VR becoming a huge deal over the course of the last 12 months. We have just a handful of DX12 tests right now, so expect this section of the site and our reviews to grow considerably over the coming months.
The same goes for VR, where we have both the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive in-house now. We will be testing VRMark for now, which is in Preview form, as well as our thoughts on VR gaming on the HTC Vive with the Radeon RX 480.
DirectX 12 Performance
We have Ashes of the Singularity with DirectX 12, with some impressive results from AMD's new Polaris-based Radeon RX 480 video card.
DX12 Performance Analysis
While we might only have Ashes of the Singularity and Hitman for our DX12 testing (for now, we have more games on the way), the new Polaris-based Radeon RX 480 fares incredibly well. If we look at Hitman at 1080p, we can see that the RX 480 isn't too far behind the overclocked R9 390X - and it beats the GTX 980 considerably, too - some great results there for AMD. Even at 4K, the RX 480 beats out the GTX 980 and is just 20% behind the R9 390X - that's damn good considering its nearly half the price.
The same thing goes for Ashes of the Singularity, with the RX 480 holding its own against the GTX 980 and the overclocked Radeon R9 390X from SAPPHIRE. We have 39FPS average, edging out the GTX 980 and its 37FPS, while the overclocked R9 390X blitzes them both with 47FPS average in Ashes.
In order to get this review out on time, I didn't spend much time overclocking it - and I think it deserves its own separate article, something I'll release in a few days. But, I did some basic overclocking on AMD's latest Radeon RX 480 and hit 1300MHz on the core without a problem, while I was able to hit 2100MHz (8.4GHz) on the RAM.
Sitting at this OC on the RX 480, our total power consumption went from 250W to around 340W while the card became much hotter than it did at stock. While it was overclocked, I played around with manual fan settings - ramping it up to 100% and while the GPU was being utilized to 100%, the GPU hit 66C - even with the fan cranked as high as it'll go.
The AIB partner cards should be much better with both cooling and overclocking performance, so expect some more articles on this part of the RX 480 puzzle in the coming weeks.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & A History Lesson]
- Page 2 [AMD Traverses a Sea of Stars With Polaris - Part 1]
- Page 3 [AMD Traverses a Sea of Stars With Polaris - Part 2]
- Page 4 [Polaris 10 & Polaris 11 - Here Are The Specs]
- Page 5 [Detailed Look at the Radeon RX 480]
- Page 6 [Testing Methodology & Test Setup Configuration]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Synthetic]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks @ 1080p]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks @ 1440p]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks @ 4K]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - DX12 & OC Adventures]
- Page 12 [Power, Temperature, & Noise]
- Page 13 [VR for the Other 99% - But is it Future Proof?]
- Page 14 [#BetterRed & Pricing Comparison]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New images of the upcoming LG G6 leaked
- COD: Infinite Warfare - best-selling game of 2016 in US
- The entire gaming market slumped 12% in the US last year
- Bloody new 'Logan' trailer embraces hard R-rating
- Buy Resident Evil 7 on Xbox One, get it on the PC, too
- hp printer technical support
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Z170MX-Gaming 5 + i5 7600k.. Should work or not?
- ASRock 2.70 Splash Screen replaces Windows?
- bios update
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South