X99-Designare EX Circuit Analysis Continued
An ALC1150 is an audio codec used on the X99-Designare EX. It uses a Texas Instruments OP1652 amplifier for the rear port and 11 Nichicon Gold series audio capacitors. You might also notice the RGB LEDs on the topside of the PCB; these illuminate the slits on the white and blue shield that covers the audio section.
The PLX Technology PEx8747 expand 16x from a 40 lane CPU or 8x from a 28 lane CPU into 32x of lanes for two PCI-E 16x slots and the M.2 and one of the U.2 ports on the motherboard. The PEX8747 is famous for its ability to expand lanes, is quite expensive, and has found a home on this X99 motherboard. Intel's Alpine Ridge USB 3.1/Thunderbolt 3 controller is being used. Instead of getting 4x PCI-E 2.0 from the PCH as on the X99-Phoenix SLI, it is getting 4x PCI-E 3.0 from the CPU. The Alpine Ridge controller gets has 32Gb/s of bandwidth. The DisplayPort input is hooked up to the controller as well for the remaining 8Gb/s of bandwidth required for Thunderbolt 3.
Bandwidth isn't the only thing required for Thunderbolt 3, you must also use the proper power delivery and type-C controller, and GIGABYTE is using the Texas Instruments TPS65982. GIGABYTE would not use this expensive Texas Instrument part, route CPU PCI-E lanes, or have a DisplayPort input is they were not going after Thunderbolt 3 functionality. The issue is certification takes time, and the motherboard just released, so GIGABYTE is not advertising its future capabilities.
Intel NIC fans will rejoice at the fact that both NICs are from Intel. The integrated Gbit MAC in the PCH works with the i218v PHY to produce one port. The second comes from a WGI211AT. Not only does this motherboard have dual Intel Gbit NICs, but it also has an Intel based Wireless AC/ Bluetooth 4.2 wireless card. The Wireless AC 8260NGW is a 2x2 card and can provide 867Mb/s of bandwidth.
I found an IDT6V49322NLG clock generator for higher BCLK overclocking margins. The IT8951E is an embedded controller used to provide QFlash Plus, which allows flashing of the BIOS without a CPU installed. I also found numerous PCI-E 3.0 quick switches from NXP.
The motherboard utilizes two 128Mbit BIOS ROMs for Dual BIOS. The main SuperIo used for temperature/voltage monitoring, some fan control, and PS/2 keyboard/mouse is the IT8620E.
A second IT8792E is used for expanded fan control and perhaps RGB lighting control. It is the third EC (embedded controller) I found on the motherboard that is custom programmed by GIGABYTE engineers. People keep asking for pictures of the RGBs, and these are used for the IO panel plastic shield.
Two NEC D720210 expand two USB 3.0 ports into eight for both internal headers and the rear IO panel ports.
PRICING: You can find the GIGABYTE X99-Designare EX (Intel X99) Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The GIGABYTE X99-Designare EX (Intel X99) Motherboard retails for $453 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The GIGABYTE X99-Designare EX (Intel X99) Motherboard retails for £394 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and X99-Designare EX Overview]
- Page 3 [GIGABYTE X99-Designare EX Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [GIGABYTE X99-Designare EX Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Xiaomi announces Mi AI Speaker priced at mere $45
- AMD's new 17.7.2 drivers include Enhanced Sync, and more
- HTC Standalone VR headset launches in China
- GTA V tops June console earnings with new monthly high
- Nintendo Switch hits 4.7 million install base
- AMD Ryzen 3 1300X and Ryzen 3 1200 CPU Review
- Lian-Li PC-O5SW...Watercooling and dimensions
- Toshiba XG5 1TB OEM M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Toshiba N300 8TB High-Reliability HDD Review
- Alphacool Eiswand External CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- Need for Speed Payback takes cars from scrap to stock to supercar in new trailer
- Visbit releases Unity SDK and web VR player for its all-in-one VR streaming service, bringing high quality VR streaming to the masses
- GWENT Gamescom 2017 tournament announced
- Toshiba NVMe SSDs now available with Lenovo's new ThinkSystem and ThinkAgile servers
- Mafia III: Sign of the Times DLC now available