This is our new section for video card reviews, with DX12 and VR becoming a huge deal over the course of the last 12 months. We have just a handful of DX12 tests right now, so expect this section of the site and our reviews to grow considerably over the coming months.
The same goes for VR, where we have both the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive in house now. We will be testing VRMark for now, which is in Preview form, as well as our thoughts on VR gaming on the HTC Vive with the new GeForce GTX 1080 video card.
DirectX 12 Performance
We have now tested Hitman and Ashes of the Singularity with DirectX 12, with some impressive results from NVIDIA's latest video card.
Overclocking Adventures - Or, Not So Much
I thought we'd squeeze more out of the MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G thanks to its 8+6-pin power design, but we didn't push much further than the fastest Boost clock available. I was able to push an additional 170MHz on the GPU, while I left the GDDR5X at stock - I didn't notice too much performance benefits in the testing I did with the VRAM overclocked, so I left it. With the MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G clocked 170MHz higher, what did we see with 3DMark?
We'll do some more overclocking adventures on our slate of GTX 1080s coming in, with the GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming here right now - with a single 8-pin PCIe connector, that will be an interesting game to test.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction - The First Custom GTX 1080 We've Tested]
- Page 2 [MSI's Twin Frozr VI Cooler, Custom PCB, and RGBs]
- Page 3 [Detailed Look & Specifications]
- Page 4 [Testing Methodology & Test Setup Configuration]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Synthetic]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks @ 1080p]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks @ 1440p]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks @ 4K]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - DX12 & OC Adventures]
- Page 10 [Power, Temperature & Noise]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo sold 2.3 million NES Mini consoles
- Nintendo forecasts 10 million Switch sales this year
- Capcom's 2016 financials outline company's future
- Sony shipped about 60 million PS4s
- Next-gen PS4 coming in 2018, analyst predicts
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube Gaming PC Review
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives