Temperature and Power Consumption
The power consumption of the NUC6i7KYK is right in between that of a desktop and your typical dual-core NUC, but the NVMe SSD sure doesn't help idle power. The power brick that comes with the unit is quite big (almost as big as the unit), and it should support up to roughly 120W.
The thermals of the NUC6i7KYK are quite interesting. The exhaust can get quite hot, but with Intel's standard cooling curve, the unit stays very quiet and doesn't howl like many devices when they are stressed to their limits.
The unit has a single exhaust located at the back of the unit on the left-hand side (if facing the rear of the unit), at load, the temperatures didn't increase over 50C.
Here we can see that at idle the exhaust section is warmer than the intake area on the right-hand side (if facing the rear of the unit). Air is pulled across the internals of the unit and out through the exhaust. We can see this thermal gradient increase when load increase since the internal air vacuum effect is more pronounced when fan speed is increased.
We can see that if the lid is removed, the M.2 SSD becomes very hot after five minutes. It's because the unit depends on the blower fan creating a vacuum where the air is pulled across the entire unit. This effect cools down the M.2 SSD so well that no thermal pad is required (as long as you keep the lid on), and it's another reason that the H170 PCH doesn't require a heat sink.
PRICING: You can find the Intel Skull Canyon NUC NUC6i7KYK Mini PC for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Intel Skull Canyon NUC NUC6i7KYK Mini PC retails for $687 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD reboots its drivers with Crimson ReLive Edition
- Faraday Future car will have cameras instead of mirrors
- SpaceX's December launch postponed until early January
- Huawei will unveil their concept phone on December 16th
- Cassini shows first images of Saturn from new orbit
- Dk-q1 / dk-q1h
- asrock 880g pro3 codes E8>54>19
- ADATA SC660 240GB Portable SSD Review
- Will this Build be Quite, Small and powerfull ?
- Mouse skipping/jumping and audio stuttering
- Bluetooth 5 specification now available, 4x Range, 2x Speed
- Zadak511 reveals SHIELD Series with RGB DDR4 RAM and RGB SSD
- Jonsbo announces QT03A and VR2 cases, and FR-101 fan series
- Cooler Master announces the MasterCase Maker 5T
- be quiet! announces the Dark Base Pro 900 case with tempered glass window side panel