The X99 platform isn't new, but there are many new products designed for the platform that are just coming to market now. New quad-channel memory kits from both G.Skill and Corsair arrived for this review, and they both look really awesome on the new motherboards I also received.
Both the Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200C16 (4x8GB) and G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz C14 (4x8GB) kits were overclocked to their XMP settings with ease on both motherboards. The ease of the 3200MHz overclock, especially with the tight C14 CAS latency on the G.Skill shows that Intel has made strides on improving the 3200MHz multiplier and overall mainstream memory XMP compatibility for Broadwell-E. At the Haswell-E launch, overclocking to this frequency was not a simple task, usually requiring a lot of voltage adjustments and even BCLK dividers, but with Broadwell-E, it is easy, breezy, and beautiful.
The kits look great in both the GIGABYTE X99-Designare EX and ASUS ROG STRIX X99 Gaming; in fact, memory and motherboards were basically interchangeable (both kits overclocked just as easily on both boards).
Steven's Motherboard Test System Specifications
- Motherboard: GIGABYTE X99 Designare-EX
- CPU: Intel Core i7 6950X Extreme Edition
- Cooler: Corsair H115i GT
- Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 3200MHz C16
- Memory: G.Skill TridentZ 32GB 3200MHz C14
- Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Storage - Boot Drive: Intel 750 400GB NVMe U.2
- Storage - USB Drive: Corsair Voyager GS 64GB - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Case: Corsair Obsidian 900D - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Buy from Amazon
- BIOS: F1
- Drivers: Intel INF: 10.1.1.9, Intel ME: 126.96.36.1992, Intel USB 3.0 Adaptation Driver: 10.0.0.42, NVIDIA Graphics: 353.82, Audio: 188.8.131.5234, Intel LAN: 20.2.4001
High-end hardware always looks good.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The 6950X and New Features]
- Page 3 [Broadwell-E Memory and Test Setup]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, PCMark 8, wPrime, SuperPI, and ScienceMark]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Performance: AIDA64 EE and HandBrake]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Performance: 3D and Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [Clock for Clock: CINEBENCH, PCMark 8, wPrime, SuperPI, and ScienceMark]
- Page 8 [Clock for Clock: AIDA64 EE and HandBrake]
- Page 9 [Clock for Clock: 3D and Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Turbo Mode 3.0, Overclocking, and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MacBook Pro GPU issues caused by software, not AMD
- HP's new supercomputer is 8000x faster than your PC
- AMD's Zen-capable X370 boards preview on December 13
- AMD's next-gen Vega 10 leaks - are they the real deal?
- Don't press new 'Guardians of the Galaxy' trailer button
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset