Tyler's NAS Test System Specifications
- Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 - Buy from Amazon
- Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Storage: Intel 730 480GB - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 750W - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10 - Buy from Amazon
The N5810 also brings with it our first look at Thecus OS 7. Right from the start, we notice it has an entirely new look to it.
The desktop for OS 7 is rather clean but does have a few icons in the top left. These include shortcuts for RAID, Backup, and Network control. At the very top, there is a file manager and app center.
Diving into the control panel, things is quite similar to OS 6 in that everything is categorized the same, but there are a few new items like SSD cache and disk clone.
The App store, while being quite new, does have a good amount of apps in it including Plex and Transmission, two of my favorites.
Moving on the file center allows you to set up shares that are accessible by user or as a whole depending on permissions.
The System Status menu goes much further into detail about the appliance than the past OS. As you can see it starts with the model number here and moving over to the hardware info tab.
The hardware info tab breaks down the Thecus into each component so much so that I really have no reason to open it up and see what ICs we have. From here, I know we have a quad-core J1900, 4GB of memory, along with two Intel i210 NICs and further down the USB 3.0 and SATA controllers.
The Disk menu allows you to configure your array supporting RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, and 10. There is also the option for iSCSI which has now been fixed.
SSD cache was around on the last OS but is now more prevalent and easier to setup. As you can see here, you can choose what type of cache you would like and the block size. You can also choose the policy.
In the image above, I have set up an LRO cache on an SSD with a block size of 2048K.
Last, we have the USB Copy option. This has been around for quite some time on nearly every appliance I have tested. With OS 7, you can configure the front mounted USB 3.0 port to complete an action along with selecting a folder to copy from or to.
PRICING: You can find the Thecus N5810 Consumer NAS for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Thecus N5810 Consumer NAS retails for $579 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Thecus N5810 Consumer NAS retails for £499 at Amazon UK.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Deep Silver will publish Kingdom Come: Deliverance
- How you can reel in high pay as a software tester
- J.J. Abrams teases imminent Portal movie announcement
- Titanfall 2's story trailer is an amazing piece of work
- Forza Horizon 3 shows that Microsoft hates PC gaming
- ASRock Z87 EXTREME4 won't restart - debug code 4F
- ASUS X99-Deluxe II Motherboard Review
- U.2 Kit on Taichi
- Z170X-Gaming 5 - Thunderbolt controller + Intel RST drivers issue.
- Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock Premium Edition Review
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now