The Toshiba XG3 is a drive that we've been chasing for a long time now. Testing confirms our suspicion that the XG3 is an absolute beast in terms of performance. Samsung's M.2 NVMe SSDs remain the performance leader, but the XG3 shrinks that lead considerably. The XG3 performs so well that we feel an end-user will not notice a difference between it and a 950 Pro or SM951. Toshiba's 1TB XG3 is more than just about massive performance; it's also about massive capacity on an NVME M.2 SSD. Twice the capacity of current competing M.2 NVMe solutions is very attractive to notebook enthusiasts.
Outside of a one-off sale on eBay, our readers will likely never be able to do an after-market upgrade utilizing a Toshiba XG3 1TB SSD, but not to worry because OCZ's RevoDrive 400 is right around the corner. We fully expect that OCZ's RevoDrive 400 will deliver even better performance than the XG3, and it will also have the advantage of a fully functional SSD toolbox for drive maintenance. To top it off, the RevoDrive 400 will be backed by OCZ's exclusive ShieldPlus warranty. Needless to say, we are very excited about the upcoming retail version of Toshiba's XG3.
Our user experience while running the XG3 as our OS disk was outstanding. The 1TB XG3 is notably snappier than Intel's 750 series SSDs. Boot times are second only to the 950 Pro, and once inside the OS, there is no way to tell the difference between it and Samsung's M.2 NVMe SSDs. You cannot notice a performance difference, but there is no mistaking the 1TB XG3's massive capacity advantage. Overall, we feel that a 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD with the performance that the XG3 can deliver is the most appealing consumer-based SSD ever made.
Toshiba's 1TB XG3 M.2 NVMe SSD is TweakTown recommended.
- Build Quality
- Most Appealing Form Factor
Product Summary Breakdown
|Quality including Design and Build||98%|
|Bundle and Packaging||N/A|
|Value for Money||N/A|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||96%|
The Bottom Line: Toshiba's 1TB XG3 M.2 NVMe SSD delivers performance that rivals the Samsung SM951 and 950 Pro drives with double the capacity.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Drive Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Drive Details]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Drive Properties]
- Page 4 [Synthetic Benchmarks – ATTO & Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 5 [Synthetic Benchmarks – CrystalDiskMark & AS SSD]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks (OS) - PCMark Vantage, PCMark 7 & PCMark 8]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks (Secondary) - IOPS, Response & Transfer Rate]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) – PCMark 8 Extended]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) – 70/30 Mixed Workload]
- Page 10 [Maxed-Out Performance (MOP)]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Vivendi could push for an Ubisoft takeover this year
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds charity event: May 4
- Jeff Goldblum joins 'Jurassic World 2' cast
- MSI bundles super-fast Optane M.2 with motherboards
- Director hoping for 'Guardians of the Galaxy' 4K Blu-ray
- Synology RT2600ac Wireless Router Review
- Cursor disappearing randomly
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G Review
- Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 NVMe SSD Review
- ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 K6 USB 3.1/TB Issues
- Nokia partners with Lucasfilm to deliver an immersive behind-the-scenes VR experience of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- New LaCie 2big Dock Thunderbolt 3 bridges the port gap and delivers massive capacity to streamline creative workflows
- ENERMAX launches D.F. STORM, the 3500RPM fan featuring self-cleaning design
- Tenda unveils new USB 3.0 AC1300 wireless network adapter
- SAPPHIRE introduces new PULSE graphics card family