For this test we can both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 movies on the system for the full length and use throttle watch in order to monitor CPU utilisation. We then calculated the average CPU usage readings from this.
- MPEG-2 AVI Playback
For this test we ran a MPEG-2 custom movie of a 4WD trip I filmed a month back that was compressed into MPEG-2 quality. Movie length was one hour.
Here we see that the CPU usage of both is low due to the hardware MPEG-2 decoder built into both chipsets and hence results in smooth playback.
MPEG-2 DVD Playback
MEPG-2 DVD playback was the same movie again, only this time converted to DVD and played back on a Slim Notebook CD drive to determine what, if any, changes have happened.
Here the EPIA SP gets slightly ahead, possibly due to the newer Southbridge being used.
For our MPEG-4 tests the same movie was once again played back only this time using the DIVX 5.2 compression codec.
This is where the EPIA SP shines. The EPIA MII relies on the CPU in order to decode the MPEG-4 video and audio streams, where the EPIA SP's Northbridge graphics has a hardware MPEG-4 accelerator built in, taking the strain off the CPU.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 2 [Specifications]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 3 [The Motherboard]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 4 [The Motherboard Continued]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 5 [Chipsets and Connectivity]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 8 [Benchmarks - CPU Utilisation with MPEG Playback]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Switch to get 'continuous stream' of third-party games
- Nintendo 3DS isn't going anywhere
- Messenger Lite now available in 150 additional countries
- Nintendo sold 2.74 million Switch systems in first month
- Nintendo profits increase by 521%
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube Gaming PC Review
- Synology RT2600ac Wireless Router Review
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives