For this test we can both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 movies on the system for the full length and use throttle watch in order to monitor CPU utilisation. We then calculated the average CPU usage readings from this.
- MPEG-2 AVI Playback
For this test we ran a MPEG-2 custom movie of a 4WD trip I filmed a month back that was compressed into MPEG-2 quality. Movie length was one hour.
Here we see that the CPU usage of both is low due to the hardware MPEG-2 decoder built into both chipsets and hence results in smooth playback.
MPEG-2 DVD Playback
MEPG-2 DVD playback was the same movie again, only this time converted to DVD and played back on a Slim Notebook CD drive to determine what, if any, changes have happened.
Here the EPIA SP gets slightly ahead, possibly due to the newer Southbridge being used.
For our MPEG-4 tests the same movie was once again played back only this time using the DIVX 5.2 compression codec.
This is where the EPIA SP shines. The EPIA MII relies on the CPU in order to decode the MPEG-4 video and audio streams, where the EPIA SP's Northbridge graphics has a hardware MPEG-4 accelerator built in, taking the strain off the CPU.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 2 [Specifications]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 3 [The Motherboard]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 4 [The Motherboard Continued]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 5 [Chipsets and Connectivity]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 8 [Benchmarks - CPU Utilisation with MPEG Playback]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- IN WIN's Mod in Taiwan event kicks off, with the world's best modders
- New 4K Xbox Scorpio targeting 6TFLOPs, 1.5 times faster than PS4K
- E3 site lists Xbox One VR category with Oculus Rift devs attached
- New 4K Xbox to support Oculus Rift VR headset
- GeIL reveals new EVO FORZA DDR4 3866MHz RAM
- Asrock 3-Way 2S2S SLI Bridge Card
- Amped Wireless Athena AC2600 RTA2600 MU-MIMO Wireless Router Review
- ASRock 990FX Extreme9 IPMI Module?
- Tweak Launcher dont work with x99-sli mobo
- SanDisk X400 1TB SATA III SSD Review
- Tt eSPORTS unveils the new Level 10 Advanced gaming mouse
- EVGA announces its GeForce GTX 1080 series
- Palit announces the GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock and Super JetStream
- Manli announces its GeForce GTX 1080 Founder's Edition video card
- ASUS announces the ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080