For this test we can both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 movies on the system for the full length and use throttle watch in order to monitor CPU utilisation. We then calculated the average CPU usage readings from this.
- MPEG-2 AVI Playback
For this test we ran a MPEG-2 custom movie of a 4WD trip I filmed a month back that was compressed into MPEG-2 quality. Movie length was one hour.
Here we see that the CPU usage of both is low due to the hardware MPEG-2 decoder built into both chipsets and hence results in smooth playback.
MPEG-2 DVD Playback
MEPG-2 DVD playback was the same movie again, only this time converted to DVD and played back on a Slim Notebook CD drive to determine what, if any, changes have happened.
Here the EPIA SP gets slightly ahead, possibly due to the newer Southbridge being used.
For our MPEG-4 tests the same movie was once again played back only this time using the DIVX 5.2 compression codec.
This is where the EPIA SP shines. The EPIA MII relies on the CPU in order to decode the MPEG-4 video and audio streams, where the EPIA SP's Northbridge graphics has a hardware MPEG-4 accelerator built in, taking the strain off the CPU.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 2 [Specifications]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 3 [The Motherboard]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 4 [The Motherboard Continued]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 5 [Chipsets and Connectivity]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 8 [Benchmarks - CPU Utilisation with MPEG Playback]
- VIA EPIA SP 1300 - Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NASA publishes a stunning 4K video of the Space Station
- Google's total cost to manufacture the Pixel XL is $285
- Tesla reports a profit for the first time in three years
- Jump into programming with 4 top Java courses
- Apple delays AirPods, says they 'aren't ready'
- Getting a DK-04 3D Model
- Lenovo Ideapad Y900-17ISK Gaming Notebook Review
- How to upgrade front I/O Panel for V2100 to USB 3.0 or even 3.1
- Not able to adjust timings!
- Battlefield 1 PC Performance and Quality Report
- G.Skill announces the RIPJAWS KM570 MX mechanical keyboard
- iBuyPower announces the Slate gaming desktop
- Fujitsu and Lenovo to explore global strategic PC cooperation
- Toshiba's SAS SSDs provide secure storage for NetApp FAS and E-Series arrays for enterprise applications
- Simplygon enables future of virtual development with open access to software