Version and / or Patch Used: 3.05
ATTO is a timeless benchmark used to provide manufacturers with data used for marketing storage products.
Compressible sequential read/write transfers max out at 529/477 MB/s. Keep in mind this is our OS volume, and it is filled to 75% of its total capacity. These figures are both higher than OWC's stated performance figures, but that's because those given by OWC are for sustained (steady-state) performance.
The Samsung drives win this test. The Reactor and TeraNova both deliver better small file write performance up to 32K than the OWC Mercury Electra MAX 6G 2TB or "Electra Max" as we will refer to it going forward.
The Electra Max lags behind the rest of our test pool from start to finish. The Reactor and TeraNova are both SM2246EN powered drives with MLC flash, and they both handily outperform the Electra Max. This is exactly what we saw at CES, standard (meaning one controller) SM2246EN powered SSDs handily outperform the dual controller configuration that is the Electra Max.
Anvil Storage Utilities
Version and / or Patch Used: 1.1.0
Anvil's Storage Utilities is a storage benchmark designed to measure the storage performance of SSDs. The Standard Storage Benchmark performs a series of tests; you can run a full test or just the read or write test, or you can run a single test, i.e. 4k QD16.
Anvil's scoring gives a good indication of a drive's overall performance. This score indicates that the Electra Max is at best, a sub-par performing SSD. Even the lowly BX200 eviscerates the Electra Max.
(Anvil) Read IOPS through Queue Depth Scale
This chart shows exactly why we chose our test pool the way we did. Samsung's 2TB drives are the best performing SATA SSDs on the market, both capable of delivering up to 10x the performance of OWC's Electra Max 2TB. We will point out that Samsung's 2TB 850 EVO is currently available for $604.
The Reactor and the TeraNova are both standard SM2246EN powered, and they are delivering up to 7x the performance of the Electra Max. The BX200 was up until now the worst performing recently released SSD on the market. All of this taken together goes back to the question we asked ourselves at CES; WHY? Why would anyone choose this path to more capacity? As we see it, bridging two good controllers with quite possibly the worst RAID controller on the market is not a good recipe.
(Anvil) Write IOPS through Queue Scale
Write performance is no different. The Electra Max is again overmatched.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Drive Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Drive Details]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Properties]
- Page 4 [Synthetic Benchmarks - ATTO & Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 5 [Synthetic Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark & AS SSD]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks (Trace-Based OS Volume) - PCMark Vantage, PCMark 7 & PCMark 8]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) – Max IOPS, Disk Response & Transfer Rates]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) – PCMark 8 Extended]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) – 70/30 Mixed Workload]
- Page 10 [Maxed-Out Performance (MOP)]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Civilization VI and Deluxe pre-order deals now available
- Spotify in 'advanced talks' to buy SoundCloud
- Hardware Deals: i5-6600K nears $200, GTX 1070 under $350
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti has no PCIe power connector
- AMD rumored to launch Vega 10 with HBM2 later this year
- ASUS X99-Deluxe II Motherboard Review
- U.2 Kit on Taichi
- Z170X-Gaming 5 - Thunderbolt controller + Intel RST drivers issue.
- Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock Premium Edition Review
- GA-EX58-UD3R Vt-d support
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now