OriginPC lent me a sample that has nearly everything you could dream of in it. Combining the usual super-fast storage drive with a still amply quick storage drive, the addition of G-Sync and having the screen calibrated is a very nice touch, something that isn't even offered by many other professional brands, either.
The specifications for the model being reviewed are below.
- Exterior: ORIGIN PC Red Lid
- Display Type: EON17-X 1920 x 1080 17.3" IPS Matte Display with G-SYNC
- Graphic Cards: Single 8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M with G-SYNC support
- Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K Quad-Core With Professional CPU Overclocking at 4.5GHz
- Memory: 16GB ORIGIN PC Approved DDR4 2133MHz (4 X 4GB)
- Operating System: MS Windows 10 Home
- m.2 SSD Drive: 256GB Samsung 950 Pro PCIe m.2
- Hard Drive: 1TB Seagate Solid State Hybrid Drive
- Dimensions: (W) 16.46" x (H) 1.52" x (D) 11.10" 8.6lbs
The chassis itself is rather attractive on the outside. It's made primarily of hard plastics that are sturdy and contribute to a well-built chassis that doesn't exhibit any flex on the keyboard, the bottom or anywhere really. You could pick it up by the side with one hand, and it won't feel fragile by any means. It isn't a blunt object to be used as a weapon, but it's also quite the stout machine.
Being a gaming laptop, it doesn't have the overt, loud trappings that you might typically associate with such a class of laptop. The red lid and subtle front light are the only defining characteristics that this is made for gamers specifically. Their symbol is even restrained and understated, and the design isn't exactly "in-your-face" either.
Software wise, it's clean of any bloatware, and could be considered bloatware free. They'll install the Internet browser of choice and any games and other gaming-specific software, but that's it. Nothing without your consent. They include a fan control software that has different profiles depending on the type of activity you use, and it's mostly unobtrusive. Recovery is handled by an included Kingston/OriginPC branded USB 3.0 drive with everything you need to recover from any issue.
Even though the specs start rather modest, they can easily be configured with a wide variety of options. You can up to an i7-6700K, 64GB of DDR4 2400, a GTX 980M, dual M.2 drives, and even up to two 2.5" drives for storage, configured in a RAID, 1 or 0, or not. There are also multiple choices of colored lids. Black, white, and red are available at no charge, but custom or one of their own designs for a little bit more. It's understated, but certainly not a small laptop at all. But it's not out of place in any setting.
Warranty and Support
OriginPC offers 24/7/365 technical support for the lifetime of the PC or laptop that they build for you. You can contact them via phone or email or chat. Any labor costs are also covered, so if there's a hardware issue, you only pay for the parts. They include a remote desktop client so that they can diagnose any problems, and potentially fix them, from afar. You also get a one-year warranty for part replacement, and they warranty the condition of the system after shipping for 45 days. So if something untoward or unfortunate happens during shipping, it's covered.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, and Availability & Price]
- Page 2 [Specs, Configurations Available, and Warranty & Support]
- Page 3 [Detailed Look, Outputs & Connectivity]
- Page 4 [Display, Keyboard, and Trackpad]
- Page 5 [Speakers and Sound]
- Page 6 [Everyday Use]
- Page 7 [Gaming Use at 1080p]
- Page 8 [Gaming Use - VR]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks – CPU & RAM]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks – Internal Storage & External Storage]
- Page 11 [Power Consumption & Battery Life]
- Page 12 [Thermal & Sound Testing]
- Page 13 [What's Hot, What's Not, & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Razer servers fail again, profiles flicked to default
- Final 'Ghost in the Shell' trailer drops in
- Elon Musk wants to link your brain to a machine
- Nintendo US boss: Switch reaction has been 'remarkable'
- PS4 Pro Media Player update includes 4K support
- DDR3 RAM question
- OST to PST Converter
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- GIGABYTE AX370-Gaming 5 (AMD X370) Motherboard Review
- ASRock B150M PRO4V- Voltage Control ?
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse